Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Therefore, it is imperative that you know, well in advance, that my reasoning will be completely mathematical, scientific and undeniable; so if you find yourself in disagreement you had better reread that which you disagree, otherwise, your stubborn resistance, your inability to perceive these relations will only delay the very life you want for yourself.
LOL, I am 100% right and if you disagree you are stubborn and unable to perceive the relations I came up with which are 100% right.

Yeah, humble guy right there.

You don't want to admit you couldn't see the Emperor's new clothes, doesn't mean the rest of humanity can't see that he's naked as a jaybird.
O hubris, Lessans is thy name!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
peacegirl had it free and publicly available for download for many months. Copies on people's harddrives are no different than having a papercopy and lending it out
Tell that to Napster, Grokster, Madster and eDonkey.

If you think that peacegirl is merely dishonest and greedy instead of crazy why would you want to make it easy for her to fuck with you?

You can't distribute copyrighted materials without the owners permission [PERIOD]. So get peacegirls permission if you can.

Several points to consider, just because Peacegirl made the book available online for free, does not negate her copyright nor does it put the work into the public domain. There are some gray areas in the copyright laws,

Fair use and fair dealing
Main articles: Fair use and Fair dealing
Copyright does not prohibit all copying or replication. In the United States, the fair use doctrine, codified by the Copyright Act of 1976 as 17 U.S.C. Section 107, permits some copying and distribution without permission of the copyright holder or payment to same. The statute does not clearly define fair use, but instead gives four non-exclusive factors to consider in a fair use analysis. Those factors are: (bolding mine, thedoc)
  1. the purpose and character of your use
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work
  3. what amount and proportion of the whole work was taken, and
  4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
It also states elswhere that comercial production and distribution is 10 copies or more. I could certainly make copies for my own use, but lending them or giving them away is questionable.

Copyright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 AM
Reality Adventurer

I've got a few copyrights and patents. It is up to the owner to protect their property. Having a copyright or a patent merely gives the holder the right to sue, however the court gives great weight to a properly registered copyright holder and unless the copies in question are for some sort of academic or artistic use you will probably loose.

In any case, only an idiot would infringe a copyright in front of the owner if they thought the owner were dishonest and greedy. It's just a very dumb thing to do.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
I've got a few copyrights and patents.
:lol:
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Apparently the PDF version doesn't contain Chapter 10 anyway. Does anyone have a copy of this? Has it ever been shared?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

We were able to read large parts of it on Google books, but she had the publisher take it down
Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Quote:
You must be very petty.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:22 AM

That is the SUPER SEEKRET chapter and it is EYES ONLY for the TRUE BELIEVERS who put down cash money on the barrel-head.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't see what's so funny, I have a few copyrights on some artwork. In most cases the act of having it published grants a copyright, but having it registered is much safer.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Apparently the PDF version doesn't contain Chapter 10 anyway. Does anyone have a copy of this? Has it ever been shared?
That's the chapter on reincarnation that isn't reincarnation, based on a pronoun. The proof was even more tenuous than the rest of the book, if that's possible.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see what's so funny, I have a few copyrights on some artwork. In most cases the act of having it published grants a copyright, but having it registered is much safer.
For whatever reason there are several posters here that have decided that I am their sworn enemy and take it upon themselves to deride me whenever they can. It's kinda funny and flattering. That they should be so upset over my opinions. I am honored.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For whatever reason there are several posters here that have decided that I am their sworn enemy and take it upon themselves to deride me whenever they can. It's kinda funny and flattering. That they should be so upset over my opinions. I am honored.
No, it's obvious that you're making shit up as usual.

:wave:
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As I said, it is very funny and flattering. It's funny that they can't conceive that someone they disagree with could have patents and copyrights, and flattering that they would see the need to question it. As if it isn't just a matter of filling out the paperwork and paying a fee.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
We were able to read large parts of it on Google books, but she had the publisher take it down
Ah, so no-one got a copy of it while it was up?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can relate to that, but mostly I just find it annoying.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Google Books had excerpts and a lot of large gaps. I just didn't see the need to down load 2 copies of the book, especially considering the content of chapter 10. Also I think there may have been some kind of electronic lock on down loading it, or maybe it was just my computer.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As I said, it is very funny and flattering. It's funny that they can't conceive that someone they disagree with could have patents and copyrights, and flattering that they would see the need to question it. As if it isn't just a matter of filling out the paperwork and paying a fee.
Patents on what?

As I said, you're just making shit up again, as usual.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Google Books had excerpts and a lot of large gaps. I just didn't see the need to down load 2 copies of the book, especially considering the content of chapter 10. Also I think there may have been some kind of electronic lock on down loading it, or maybe it was just my computer.
Okay. It's just that this is the one part of Lessans' book I haven't already read. Back at IIDB where we only had a summary of this chapter (written by either Peacegirl or Lessans - who knows which) she insisted that the actual contents of the chapter where quite different from the laughably moronic summary.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, apparently at least a few people downloaded the rubbish. I didn't myself, though I did read most of it and it cracked me up. You mean you never actually saw this stuff? The parts where he said that to wake a child is to blame it for sleeping, that in the New World everyone will prance around scantily clad and fall in love and stick for life with the first genitals they encounter, the part where he talks about how anyone will be able to hang out a shingle and be a doctor and his lawsuit against President Carter? The rumpy-pumpy on the dinner table, provided no little ones are present? (Though it is hard to understand on his own reasoning why banishing kids from the dinner table while their parents are fucking over the roast beef is not to blame a child for its natural curiosity.)

Seriously, you never saw all this good stuff? Your loss. Funneh! :D
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Patents on what?

As I said, you're just making shit up again, as usual.

I'm flattered that you are interested in my work. I have patents on high speed printing, data driven publishing, traffic control and fleet tracking & management. Under patent law as the inventor my name was listed on the patent but since it was created under a "work for hire" ( I do a lot of consulting) it was reassigned to the client. I have several software copyrights that were also reassigned after being granted.

It's no big deal. It's like doubting I have a drivers license. A patent is actually easier to get. There is no written and driver test.

Why is this so important to you? What point are you making by questioning this?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You flatter yourself way too much. :lol:

Sort of like Lessans.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You flatter yourself way too much. :lol:

Sort of like Lessans.
One of the group I spoke of has self identified. His ears were burning.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, apparently at least a few people downloaded the rubbish. I didn't myself, though I did read most of it and it cracked me up. You mean you never actually saw this stuff? The parts where he said that to wake a child is to blame it for sleeping, that in the New World everyone will prance around scantily clad and fall in love and stick for life with the first genitals they encounter, the part where he talks about how anyone will be able to hang out a shingle and be a doctor and his lawsuit against President Carter? The rumpy-pumpy on the dinner table, provided no little ones are present? (Though it is hard to understand on his own reasoning why banishing kids from the dinner table while their parents are fucking over the roast beef is not to blame a child for its natural curiosity.)

Seriously, you never saw all this good stuff? Your loss. Funneh! :D
I recall reading from Lessans most of these claims, so they must have been in the summarized version too unless they were also in other chapters. But my request still stands for anyone who saved material from Chapter 10 and is willing to share it.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I have a few copyrights on some artwork. In most cases the act of having it published grants a copyright.
Well according to my wife, who is in the printing business and deals with copyrights, you don't offically get one without registering it. I've been corrected again.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 AM

I think there is some confusion here. Spacemonkey, are you saying that you have read Lessans' book, except for chapter 10, but never downloaded it and that you are interested in obtaining a copy of the book, both the parts you have already read and especially chapter 10?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy