Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Nope, YOU act like a sheep. Everyone else here can think for themselves and independently reach their own conclusions. You have never established or observed any groupthink here. This is just another of your many rationalizations for trying to explain away the uncomfortable fact that EVERYONE you talk to reaches the same negative conclusions concerning you, your father, and his claims.
The sad truth is the smarter someone thinks he is, the more difficult it is to break through his hardened way of thinking. I am not surprised that you are acting this way.
The sad truth is that mental illness cannot be treated over the internet.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
That's what I mean when I say you aren't listening, and neither is LadyShea or Spacemonkey. You've got your opinions and you're on the warpath, without truly understanding this man's words. You are hurting those who are depending on you to give your objective thoughts regarding this work, when you have no friggin clue what it's about. This is a total and complete travesty.
Who is depending on davidm to give his objective thoughts regarding this work?
It's not that anybody is depending on davidm's thoughts, or your thoughts, or Spacemonkey's thoughts for that matter, but when they're all put together these responses can have a negative influence on the people listening.
Who is this fictional audience you keep imagining? Why do you imagine they cannot think for themselves? Why do you think they are likely to hold different opinions than any of those you actually interact with?
A schizophrenic would probably never consider that it is their obvious mental illness that would cause people to completely discount their reason challenged account.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
A schizophrenic would probably never consider that it is their obvious mental illness that would cause people to completely discount their reason challenged account.
I know this is your new pet hypothesis, but can you give a good argument for why she is schizophrenic? This looks like complete bullshit.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
I know this is your new pet hypothesis, but can you give a good argument for why she is schizophrenic? This looks like complete bullshit.
You are very predictable.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:26 AM

Stop weaseling and answer the question!

:lol:
Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Stop weaseling and answer the question!

:lol:
For you, never.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 AM

Because I'm all washed up!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Because I'm all washed up!
You probably have one of those demeaning attitudes.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:09 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
So you used "those who are depending on you" why?
I want people to grasp this knowledge. I am not depending on anyone in particular, and no one is depending on me. I think it would be sad if people leave this forum having never understood the first thing about this book. This one guy pm'd me, and when I mentioned 'discovery', he said what discovery? He didn't have the slightest idea what the topic was about. Now that's sad.
Well, how do you expect new people to get caught up when you have removed access to the book and there are 10's of thousands of posts to wade through? There are more words in these threads than in the entire book, most of them weaseling LIKE YOU ARE DOING NOW.

I asked you a simple question, why did you say "You are hurting those who are depending on you to give your objective thoughts regarding this work" when you do not think anybody is depending on anybody else? Why do you say things you don't really mean?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
I am stating that light travels
I am stating that light has a wavelength
I am stating that when light encounters matter it is either absorbed, reflected or transmitted
I am stating that absorbed light is no longer light
Reflected and transmitted light, being light, travels and has not lost nor gained any properties
Light does strike the retina, as it strikes any or everything in it's path of travel

Do you agree or disagree with each of these properties of light?
I don't agree that non-absorbed light bounces off of objects and the photons strike the retina or film after traversing a certain distance.
Which, if any, of the listed properties of light are you disagreeing with? What you said is not a listed property of light.

Do I need to number them?
I disagree with number five. You are assuming that the non-absorbed light is reflected. Yes, light is light, and photons are always being replaced, so there's no violation here
I am not assuming anything. Reflection is empirically observed and can be measured, and has physical laws regarding it....you know the Laws of Reflection?

So you disagree with the laws of physics regarding reflection and transmission, and are saying that light changes its properties when it comes into contact with matter that doesn't absorb it. Since you are saying that you think the laws of physics are wrong in this regard and must be different for your model to work, then your model violates the laws of physics.

Why do you keep insisting your model does not violate physics?
Why do you keep asserting your model does not require a change in the properties of light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
but there is an assumption that this pattern of light gets reflected and travels.
No, there is no assumption, anywhere by anyone that "this pattern" of light gets reflected and travels. That's your retarded strawman yet again.

Light gets reflected and travels, yes. That is a known and proven fact.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-15-2012), But (06-15-2012), Dragar (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I don't think they are likely to hold different opinions than any of those I interact with because I know that group think is a huge problem. People can be swayed to side with the loudest, in your face type individual rather than think for themselves. Most people act like sheep following the herd.

This just doesn't work, if everyone were just sheep following someone elses lead they would all be asking the same questions. But everyone here is questioning a different aspect of the proposed model, they are not just parroting what others are saying. It is Peacegirl who is following her own little herd by ignoring and weaseling out of answering all the different questions equally.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
The sad truth is the smarter someone thinks he is, the more difficult it is to break through his hardened way of thinking. I am not surprised that you are acting this way.

So you are saying Lessans book and your presentation is aimed at the most stupid and ignorant members of society, There are not many in that group who are scientists, philosophers, and thinkers, who are the ones you want to validate Lessand work.

FYI, the smarter someone is, the more openminded they usually are. I have found those on the lower end of the intellictual scale are more closed minded, and they have no way of conceptualizing how someone could be smarter than they are. .
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-15-2012), Dragar (06-15-2012), LadyShea (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
If it wasn't for him dropping out in 7th grade, he would have never had the presence of mind to study on his own..
Fact not in evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
A lot of people, even some college graduates, continue to study and learn on their own even after they have completed their formal education.
He told me that if he had gone the usual route, he would have never made this discovery because he would not have read the books he read, or thought beyond the scope of what he was taught in school. Instead, he went far beyond what he could have learned from a formal education.
Quote:
Just as you can't know what the results would have been had he taken a different course, so he couldn't know that either, because he didn't take it.
Quote:
Quote:
...which turned out to be a better education than anything he could have gotten in school.
Quote:
Yet another fact not in evidence.

Since he did not continue his formal education you have no basis for comparing the education he did get with the education he might have gotten had he continued his formal education.
All I can say is that he told me that had he gone to college, he would not have moved in the direction he did, which ultimately allowed him to make this discovery.
Quote:
Again, he couldn't have known what direction he would have moved had he gone to college, for the simple reason that that is not what he did.

Your claims about what the results would have been had he chosen differently are clearly based on what he told you he believed would have been different. His beliefs about how things might have turned out otherwise are entirely speculative. The most that can reliably be said is that the results would almost certainly have been different if he had taken a different path. Whether those results would have been better or worse is something that no one, not even Lessans himself, can ever know for certain.

The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
You missed the entire point I was making. No one knows what could have been if one had not gone a particular route. What I am saying is that the route he took allowed him to make a discovery that he otherwise might not have. So it turns out that the direction he took was a good thing. Making a discovery does not require one to go to college. It could actually put a lid on what one desires to learn because a person could be satisfied with what he was taught, and never think outside of the box. On the other hand, going to college doesn't preclude someone from making a discovery. How one achieves knowledge is not dependent on any one method. In other words, it's not how something is achieved; it's what is achieved that matters. It just so happened that Lessans took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.
I didn't miss the point at all. Your claims were that Lessans would not (not might not have) pursued his course of self-education if he had not quit school after the 7th grade and that if he had followed the usual route he would not have (not might not have) gone on to make his discovery. There was nothing provisional or tentative about your claims. Your claims to know these things were absolute and without a trace of uncertainty. That you now acknowledge that it is possible that he could have continued his formal education without that education interferring with his decision to pursue a course of additional self-education is a step in the right direction on your part. If you would apply that same sort of tentativeness to Lessans' many other extravagant claims of certain and undeniable knowledge your presentation might just gain a little bit of traction.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
We know that his efforts as an autodidact were inadequate to the task he attempted. We do not know whether the results would have been better or worse had he completed his formal education.
You don't know that his efforts were inadequate to the task Angakuk.
Actually, I do know. The book itself, with all its factual errors, faulty reasoning and awful writing style, is sufficient evidence that his efforts at self-education proved inadequate for the task that he set himself.
The factual errors you are talking about have absolutely nothing to do with the discovery he made. You are looking at the trees and not seeing the forest. He did not in any way, shape, or form prove inadequate to the task. Ironically, he did not set out to do anything. He had no presuppositions. It was his voracious reading, along with his capacity to see certain relations as a whole, that proved adequate to the task. And for the last time, stop bringing in his writing style, as if this means anything. You are being extremely superficial Angakuk. A book can be wonderfully written and have nothing to say, and a book can have some grammatical errors, or not be written up to snuff, in some people's eyes, but have very important content. You disappoint me once again by your superficiality.
At some point Lessans set himself the task of a writing a book (or books) that would effectively communicate his ideas to the world. This book, which you have now edited and made (or propose to make) available to the world, with its many factual errors, faulty arguments and execrable prose is the evidence of whether or not he was able to successfully execute that task. This is not a superficial criticism. All of the elements that make up the book, including (but not limited to) the style of writing, combine to bear witness as to whether or not he was successful in producing a work that would effectively and convincingly present his ideas to the world. This book, as your own experience promoting it in various and sundry forums demonstrates, proves that he has not acheived that goal. That, with all the effort and time he put into this work, he failed to produce a work that could achieve that goal is evidence of his inadequacy to do so. If he could have done better he would have. Therefore, he could not do better and what he did do is not good enough. The proof of the pudding, peacegirl, is in the eating of it. The taste of this pudding is bad enough to gag a maggot.
Dragar (06-15-2012), LadyShea (06-15-2012), thedoc (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I don't think they are likely to hold different opinions than any of those I interact with because I know that group think is a huge problem. People can be swayed to side with the loudest, in your face type individual rather than think for themselves. I see how Angakuk took certain ideas that people espoused, such as the way the book was written, as a means to attack Lessans when the opportunity presented itself. Everything that is said, even when there's no actual proof that what is being said has any merit whatsoever, can easily be used against me at a later date, and it takes a very independent thinking person not to be influenced. Most people act like sheep following the herd.
It did not require the influence, advice or observations of other to convince me that the book is very badly written. I came to that conclusion on my own. How, you might ask, was I able to arrive at such a conclusion without the assistance of others? I answer, because I can read.
Dragar (06-15-2012), LadyShea (06-15-2012), thedoc (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you used "those who are depending on you" why?
I want people to grasp this knowledge. I am not depending on anyone in particular, and no one is depending on me. I think it would be sad if people leave this forum having never understood the first thing about this book. This one guy pm'd me, and when I mentioned 'discovery', he said what discovery? He didn't have the slightest idea what the topic was about. Now that's sad.
Well, how do you expect new people to get caught up when you have removed access to the book and there are 10's of thousands of posts to wade through? There are more words in these threads than in the entire book, most of them weaseling LIKE YOU ARE DOING NOW.

I asked you a simple question, why did you say "You are hurting those who are depending on you to give your objective thoughts regarding this work" when you do not think anybody is depending on anybody else? Why do you say things you don't really mean?
I answered this question. People often depend on someone else's judgment of whether a book has merit or not. If you are the main spokesperson in this thread, along with a few others, then what is likely to happen is that people will listen to you and get a bad feeling about the book. This whole thread is not putting Lessans in a good light, not because he doesn't have a discovery, but because people don't believe he does (for various reasons, one being that they don't grasp these principles).

Your reasoning that I've been online for 10 years and no one has yet to come forward and say he has something of value, is flawed. You're doing the very same thing that other people do, which is to get a false picture of the book because you are basing your conclusions on a false premise that there must be nothing to it since no one has agreed in all these years. I should have never discussed this discovery online, because it's not the right venue, as I've stated many times. There are so many gaps in understanding (we haven't gotten past page 58, excluding Chapter Four), even after thousands of pages, that it appears there is nothing more to be said. But that's far from the truth. According to you and others, there is no discovery. That's insane thinking. David thinks the angrier he gets, and the more names he calls me, it will make me leave with my tail between my legs. Whether I leave or not is not going to be because this discovery is not genuine.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If it wasn't for him dropping out in 7th grade, he would have never had the presence of mind to study on his own..
Fact not in evidence.
Quote:
A lot of people, even some college graduates, continue to study and learn on their own even after they have completed their formal education.
He told me that if he had gone the usual route, he would have never made this discovery because he would not have read the books he read, or thought beyond the scope of what he was taught in school. Instead, he went far beyond what he could have learned from a formal education.
Quote:
Just as you can't know what the results would have been had he taken a different course, so he couldn't know that either, because he didn't take it.
Quote:
Quote:
...which turned out to be a better education than anything he could have gotten in school.
Quote:

Since he did not continue his formal education you have no basis for comparing the education he did get with the education he might have gotten had he continued his formal education.
All I can say is that he told me that had he gone to college, he would not have moved in the direction he did, which ultimately allowed him to make this discovery.
Quote:
Again, he couldn't have known what direction he would have moved had he gone to college, for the simple reason that that is not what he did.

Your claims about what the results would have been had he chosen differently are clearly based on what he told you he believed would have been different. His beliefs about how things might have turned out otherwise are entirely speculative. The most that can reliably be said is that the results would almost certainly have been different if he had taken a different path. Whether those results would have been better or worse is something that no one, not even Lessans himself, can ever know for certain.

The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

You missed the entire point I was making. No one knows what could have been if one had not gone a particular route. What I am saying is that the route he took allowed him to make a discovery that he otherwise might not have. So it turns out that the direction he took was a good thing. Making a discovery does not require one to go to college. It could actually put a lid on what one desires to learn because a person could be satisfied with what he was taught, and never think outside of the box. On the other hand, going to college doesn't preclude someone from making a discovery. How one achieves knowledge is not dependent on any one method. In other words, it's not how something is achieved; it's what is achieved that matters. It just so happened that Lessans took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.
I didn't miss the point at all. Your claims were that Lessans would not (not might not have) pursued his course of self-education if he had not quit school after the 7th grade and that if he had followed the usual route he would not have (not might not have) gone on to make his discovery. There was nothing provisional or tentative about your claims. Your claims to know these things were absolute and without a trace of uncertainty. That you now acknowledge that it is possible that he could have continued his formal education without that education interferring with his decision to pursue a course of additional self-education is a step in the right direction on your part. If you would apply that same sort of tentativeness to Lessans' many other extravagant claims of certain and undeniable knowledge your presentation might just gain a little bit of traction.
Your thinking is so off I don't know what to say. Think about it Angakuk. If Lessans turns out to be right and his discovery, which are really God's laws recognized on a global scale, helps to bring forward the very thing we've been hoping and praying for since time immemorial, I would not change the course that Lessans took, for there is the very real possibility (I'll be tentative there), that he would not have pursued the path that would have led him to these findings.

So give it up Angakuk, you're wrong in your analysis that he could have achieved more or done better. He achieved more than many Ph.D's. There's nothing magical about getting a formal education, as if it has some special power to make someone great. On the other hand, there's nothing that would stop a person from utilizing what he's learned from a formal education. I never said that there aren't a many great contributions to our world from people who went to college, but college isn't the end all, which is what you're implying. You are missing my whole point.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
We know that his efforts as an autodidact were inadequate to the task he attempted. We do not know whether the results would have been better or worse had he completed his formal education.
You don't know that his efforts were inadequate to the task Angakuk.
Actually, I do know. The book itself, with all its factual errors, faulty reasoning and awful writing style, is sufficient evidence that his efforts at self-education proved inadequate for the task that he set himself.
The factual errors you are talking about have absolutely nothing to do with the discovery he made. You are looking at the trees and not seeing the forest. He did not in any way, shape, or form prove inadequate to the task. Ironically, he did not set out to do anything. He had no presuppositions. It was his voracious reading, along with his capacity to see certain relations as a whole, that proved adequate to the task. And for the last time, stop bringing in his writing style, as if this means anything. You are being extremely superficial Angakuk. A book can be wonderfully written and have nothing to say, and a book can have some grammatical errors, or not be written up to snuff, in some people's eyes, but have very important content. You disappoint me once again by your superficiality.
At some point Lessans set himself the task of a writing a book (or books) that would effectively communicate his ideas to the world. This book, which you have now edited and made (or propose to make) available to the world, with its many factual errors, faulty arguments and execrable prose is the evidence of whether or not he was able to successfully execute that task. This is not a superficial criticism. All of the elements that make up the book, including (but not limited to) the style of writing, combine to bear witness as to whether or not he was successful in producing a work that would effectively and convincingly present his ideas to the world. This book, as your own experience promoting it in various and sundry forums demonstrates, proves that he has not acheived that goal. That, with all the effort and time he put into this work, he failed to produce a work that could achieve that goal is evidence of his inadequacy to do so. If he could have done better he would have. Therefore, he could not do better and what he did do is not good enough. The proof of the pudding, peacegirl, is in the eating of it. The taste of this pudding is bad enough to gag a maggot.
And this diatribe is coming from someone who didn't even read the book the way it was intended to be read. And don't lie Angakuk, it wouldn't be good for your image. This thread has become so familiarly biased, the irony is that the people participating think they are doing science a favor. :sadcheer:
Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If your father had actually made any discoveries then you might nearly have a point. But he didn't.

Where were those red photons at the film just a moment before the object turned red and the photograph was taken?

Where did Lessans support his listed presuppositions about conscience?

And are you presently in institutional care of any sort, or have you ever been diagnosed or treated for any mental health related condition?

:weasel: in 3... 2... 1...
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I agree that light travels, has a wavelength, and is absorbed, but I don't agree that non-absorbed light bounces off of objects and the photons strike the retina or film after traversing a certain distance.
So then what do you think happens to the photons that hit an object and are not absorbed?

I ask because you have previously agreed that they bounce off and travel away from the object. So long as they do this, then nothing is stopping them from hitting a film or retina placed in their path.
Bump.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I disagree with number five. You are assuming that the non-absorbed light is reflected.
What happens to it if it is not reflected? (To say that it is reflected means only that it bounces off and travels away. This is something you have agreed with.)

Quote:
Yes, light is light, and photons are always being replaced, so there's no violation here...
Where did the photons go that got replaced?

Quote:
...but there is an assumption that this pattern of light gets reflected and travels, which is a fallacy if Lessans is right.
You've also previously agreed that a pattern of light gets reflected and travels. What prevents red photons from bouncing off and traveling away from the red parts of an object while blue photons bounce off and travel away from the blue parts of the object?

Quote:
White light travels and we see objects because of light, but light doesn't travel and bring the pattern or image or non-absorbed wavelength light to us.
"Pattern", "image", "light", and "wavelength" are NOT synonyms.

Only light travels. The wavelength is a property of the light. The light can travel in a pattern. That pattern is not an image. The pattern is not anything over and above or distinct from the light itself.
Bump.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Your reasoning that I've been online for 10 years and no one has yet to come forward and say he has something of value, is flawed.
Actually, it's an astute and accurate observation. If after a decade of failing to convince anyone of anything but your own self-delusion, it would be obvious to any sane person that what you're peddling just isn't rationally compelling material.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Your reasoning that I've been online for 10 years and no one has yet to come forward and say he has something of value, is flawed.
Actually, it's an astute and accurate observation. If after a decade of failing to convince anyone of anything but your own self-delusion, it would be obvious to any sane person that what you're peddling just isn't rationally compelling material.
Why am I so unsurprised by your questions, which don't even play a part in Lessans' proof. I will not cowtow to your questions which don't provide anything other than your version of truth. You are a very smug individual, which poses a serious problem in a thread like this, and makes it doubly hard to deal with the subtle prejudices you hold dear.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why am I so unsurprised by your questions, which don't even play a part in Lessans' proof. I will not cowtow to your questions which don't provide anything other than your version of truth. You are a very smug individual, which poses a serious problem in a thread like this, and makes it doubly hard to deal with the subtle prejudices you hold dear.
Yeah Spacemonkey! Stop being so subtle.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-15-2012), Spacemonkey (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Fact not in evidence.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

Your thinking is so off I don't know what to say. Think about it Angakuk. If Lessans turns out to be right and his discovery, which are really God's laws recognized on a global scale, helps to bring forward the very thing we've been hoping and praying for since time immemorial, I would not change the course that Lessans took, for there is the very real possibility (I'll be tentative there), that he would not have pursued the path that would have led him to these findings.

So give it up Angakuk, you're wrong in your analysis that he could have achieved more or done better. He achieved more than many Ph.D's. There's nothing magical about getting a formal education, as if it has some special power to make someone great. On the other hand, there's nothing that would stop a person from utilizing what he's learned from a formal education. I never said that there aren't a many great contributions to our world from people who went to college, but college isn't the end all, which is what you're implying. You are missing my whole point.
Really Angakuk, you of all people should know the messiah of the new age of peace when you see one. And whomsoever denies the prophet of Lessans shall be sorry.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy