Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

I don't have a smart phone. Anybody here who has a video phone, a ceiling fan, and a flashlight or laser pointer willing to make a video demonstration of a light on the ceiling through spinning fan blades?

How about taping a note to the ceiling and video taping it through the spinning fan blades to demonstrate that you can see perfectly through the gaps in a spinning fan....well enough to read?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
That's just not true. Seeing in real time has nothing to do with seeing light at all speeds of rotation. It indicates no such thing.
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to do. We know that light travels. All this experiment does is determine the speed of that light. No one is disputing this, so why do you keep trying to use this as proof that real time seeing is wrong?
If we saw in real time, and we could see the light when the wheel was rotating at various speeds, why would a specific speed of a spinning wheel prevent seeing the light that could be seen at other speeds? It can be seen when the wheel is rotating at all kinds of speeds, both slower and faster...so it is bright enough, large enough, and close enough to be seen with our brains through our eyes.

How do you explain this? Why does the speed of rotation of a toothed wheel determine whether we can or cannot see the light if light travel time is not a factor in seeing something?
That's just the point, in the case of measuring the speed of light, travel time is a factor, but this has nothing to do with seeing the world in real time. You just don't see the difference.
In the experiment the light can be seen through the spinning wheel at almost all speeds of rotation. Is it seen in real time or not?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whether we see it, but this has nothing to do with light traveling with the pattern of the object. You still don't seem to understand the difference.
There is no difference that I am in need of understanding, because this "traveling with the pattern of the object" and "image of the object traveling" is your and Lessans retarded strawman and not the position of anyone you are talking to...as has been explained to you probably hundreds of times

I never said, nor do I think, that light travels with a pattern of the object nor that the image of the object travels as an image, nor that the image travels with or on light.
You obviously are trying to weasel out of this. There has to be a pattern coming from the light, in the afferent model, that is reflected from the object which then travels through space and time. I don't care what words you use to describe it; that is the basic idea.
No, you do not understand the afferent model, still.

Light is reflected off objects and continues to travel in a straight line at the angle of reflection. That's it.

There is no pattern coming from, on, or with the light just as there is no pattern from, on, or with the paint on a paintbrush used to create an image on canvas.
In the afferent model, there is non-absorbed light that bounces off of objects, which reveals a pattern LadyShea. Why the word games, and why are you avoiding answering the question honestly?
You still do not get it, therefore you misrepresent optics with every word.

A pattern is not revealed.

What question am I not answering?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I understand this perfectly, but it doesn't apply at all to what Lessans is saying. How do you expect to prove that we see, or don't see, in real time, when light is traveling so fast? As I said in the previous post, by the time we even have a chance to look, the light has reached our eyes, so there is no way we can answer the question of real time seeing with this example.
You realize that that's the brilliance of Fizeau's experiment? Scientists knew that the speed of light was really incredibly fast, so they had to concoct methods using fast spinning objects to manipulate the light.

You never answered this question:
Suppose a light source is bright enough to be seen at a fairly long distance (Say several miles). Lessans predicts that you will see the light source a tiny fraction of a second before the light reaches our eyes. What does the light source look like to us?

The reason why I ask that question is because in Fizeau's experiment, the light source is bright enough to be seen from miles away. When the wheel is spinning at the right speed, the light source is bright enough to be seen and the object is in the field of view, but none of its light is reaching the eye.

Lessans predicts that we would "see" this light source. what might it look like?
No specious_reasons, we could never test whether we see in real time using this experiment because there is no way we can determine at which point we would see the light bulb when light is traveling so fast.
I'm sorry, I keep on talking to you like you have the capability of understanding.

Let's talk about the experiment for a second. Suppose we set it all up so that the gear is not moving. If we set the gear so that the beam of light passes through a gap in the gear, we see the light source. If we set the gear so that a gear tooth is in the beam of light, we don't see the light.

If we rotate the gear slowly, we alternate between seeing the light for short bursts, and seeing nothing for short bursts.

With me so far?

We start rotating the gear faster and faster, the light now appears to be flickering, because it's alternating very quickly between the teeth and gaps. If we start rotating the gears fast enough (really fast, 1000s of RPM), the amount of light that gets through get less and less, and eventually at the right speed, no light gets through.

Funny thing is, if we speed up the spinning gear even more, we start to see light again!

At no time does the light change in its brightness, and whenever the gap in the gear is in that beam of light, we have a direct line of sight to that light source.

When the wheel is spinning at the right speed, the light source is bright enough to be seen and the object is in the field of view, but none of its light is reaching the eye.

What should we be seeing then?
When the wheel is spinning at the right speed, the light gets through the spinning gear, but we don't see the light bulb, or light source, because it's not large enough. It's ten miles away. It is not in the field of view of the rotating wheel. Light is arriving, that's true, but there is no corresponding image.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whether we see it, but this has nothing to do with light traveling with the pattern of the object. You still don't seem to understand the difference.
There is no difference that I am in need of understanding, because this "traveling with the pattern of the object" and "image of the object traveling" is your and Lessans retarded strawman and not the position of anyone you are talking to...as has been explained to you probably hundreds of times

I never said, nor do I think, that light travels with a pattern of the object nor that the image of the object travels as an image, nor that the image travels with or on light.
You obviously are trying to weasel out of this. There has to be a pattern coming from the light, in the afferent model, that is reflected from the object which then travels through space and time. I don't care what words you use to describe it; that is the basic idea.

Light is reflected off objects and continues to travel in a straight line at the angle of reflection. That's it.

There is no pattern coming from, on, or with the light just as there is no pattern from, on, or with the paint on a paintbrush used to create an image on canvas.
In the afferent model, there is non-absorbed light that bounces off of objects, which reveals a pattern LadyShea. Why the word games, and why are you avoiding answering the question honestly?

What is non-absorbed light other than a pattern that interacts with our retina? Call it whatever you want.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's just not true. Seeing in real time has nothing to do with seeing light at all speeds of rotation. It indicates no such thing.
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to do. We know that light travels. All this experiment does is determine the speed of that light. No one is disputing this, so why do you keep trying to use this as proof that real time seeing is wrong?
If we saw in real time, and we could see the light when the wheel was rotating at various speeds, why would a specific speed of a spinning wheel prevent seeing the light that could be seen at other speeds? It can be seen when the wheel is rotating at all kinds of speeds, both slower and faster...so it is bright enough, large enough, and close enough to be seen with our brains through our eyes.

How do you explain this? Why does the speed of rotation of a toothed wheel determine whether we can or cannot see the light if light travel time is not a factor in seeing something?
That's just the point, in the case of measuring the speed of light, travel time is a factor, but this has nothing to do with seeing the world in real time. You just don't see the difference.
In the experiment the light can be seen through the spinning wheel at almost all speeds of rotation. Is it seen in real time or not?
Yes, we're seeing light in real time, but this doesn't mean we can see it before it gets to us. We are talking about the properties of light, which we know has a finite speed. Anything with a finite speed that is traveling from one point to another is not going to be seen before it arrives. But what you don't seem to understand is that efferent vision has nothing to do with the time it takes for light to arrive because light is not bringing the image; it is revealing the object.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I keep on talking to you like you have the capability of understanding.

Let's talk about the experiment for a second. Suppose we set it all up so that the gear is not moving. If we set the gear so that the beam of light passes through a gap in the gear, we see the light source. If we set the gear so that a gear tooth is in the beam of light, we don't see the light.

If we rotate the gear slowly, we alternate between seeing the light for short bursts, and seeing nothing for short bursts.

With me so far?

We start rotating the gear faster and faster, the light now appears to be flickering, because it's alternating very quickly between the teeth and gaps. If we start rotating the gears fast enough (really fast, 1000s of RPM), the amount of light that gets through get less and less, and eventually at the right speed, no light gets through.

Funny thing is, if we speed up the spinning gear even more, we start to see light again!

At no time does the light change in its brightness, and whenever the gap in the gear is in that beam of light, we have a direct line of sight to that light source.

When the wheel is spinning at the right speed, the light source is bright enough to be seen and the object is in the field of view, but none of its light is reaching the eye.

When the wheel is spinning at the right speed, the light gets through the spinning gear, but we don't see the light bulb, or light source, because it's not large enough. It's ten miles away. It is not in the field of view of the rotating wheel. Light is arriving, that's true, but there is no corresponding image.
I have no idea what you are trying to convey. Are you saying we see light but not the object that generates the light?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What is non-absorbed light other than a pattern that interacts with our retina? Call it whatever you want.
What do you mean "What is non-absorbed light"? You act like "non absorbed light" has it's own special definition of "a pattern that interacts with our retina", which is a strawman and misrepresentation of the principles of optics.

Light that hasn't been absorbed is light, so I will call it light since that is what it is. There is no other definition. It's light, it has the properties of light.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, we're seeing light in real time, but this doesn't mean we can see it before it gets to us. We are talking about the properties of light, which we know has a finite speed. Anything with a finite speed that is traveling from one point to another is not going to be seen before it arrives. But what you don't seem to understand is that efferent vision has nothing to do with the time it takes for light to arrive because light is not bringing the image; it is revealing the object.
Quote:
we don't see the light bulb, or light source, because it's not large enough. It's ten miles away. It is not in the field of view of the rotating wheel. Light is arriving, that's true, but there is no corresponding image.

Then you are contradicting Lessans statements regarding seeing distant stars instantly, in real time, without needing to await their light to reach us.

You can't see the "source" of starlight, there is no other visible part of a distant star* and nothing of the star is being "revealed".

So do we see stars in real time as Lessans stated or only after the light arrives on Earth as you seem to be stating now?

*Do not try to weasel as you did with this statement a few weeks ago
Quote:
Lessans didn't say we are seeing starlight in real time. He said we are seeing the actual star in real time.
The only part of a star that is visible is its light, so there is no "actual star" to see unless you are proposing we can see elemental atoms from millions of miles away.

Also you contradicted yourself in that same post by saying
Quote:
If an explosion is bright enough for us to see it, it doesn't mean the light has traveled all the way to Earth.
So, according to YOU if light is bright enough to be seen we can see it without the light having to travel to Earth. All that can be seen of a supernova is its light, there is no such material object called "an explosion" to be seen

So, when you say
Quote:
"Anything with a finite speed that is traveling from one point to another is not going to be seen before it arrives."
does that apply to the light from a supernova explosion?

Last edited by LadyShea; 06-11-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
How is it flawed? If we could see in realtime, we would see instantly through the hole between the 'spokes' of the wheel. And when the hole is blocked by the spoke, we shouldn't at that instant be able to see what is behind the spoke. Which of these do you disagree with?
Bump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
How could we see instantly through the hole between the spokes when the light is blocked. That would be magic. :eek:
How is the light blocked when there is a hole in the wheel through which it can be seen? It's not blocked by a hole, it's visible through the hole.
It's blocked when the hole is no longer visible.
Which is only for split seconds at a time, which is why the light looks as if it is flickering

Did you watch the video of the zoetrope? Are you completely retarded or are you just willing to look like a total moron to maintain your faith position?
No, I must have missed the link.

Quote:
Quote:
Can you see your ceiling through spinning ceiling fan blades when your fan is on high speed? How? If you shine a light up through the spinning fan blades does it reach the ceiling and can you see the light on the ceiling? How?
No, you can't shine a light through spinning fan blades when my fan is on high speed and see the light on the ceiling.
Quote:
No? Really? Your answer is no? Did you actually try this simple home experiment or are you saying no to maintain your faith position even though it makes you appear to be crazy and an imbecile?
As long as there's an opening where light can pass through, we will see it, whether the blades are going at a slow speed or a super high speed, but this doesn't have anything to do with what Lessans is claiming.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What do you mean "What is non-absorbed light"? You act like "non absorbed light" has it's own special definition of "a pattern that interacts with our retina", which is a strawman and misrepresentation of the principles of optics.

Light that hasn't been absorbed is light, so I will call it light since that is what it is. There is no other definition. It's light, it has the properties of light.
When a part of the visual spectrum gets absorbed, what is left? Non-absorbed light. What is it that allows us to identify an object? Non-absorbed light. Am I missing something?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When a part of the visual spectrum gets absorbed, what is left? Non-absorbed light. What is it that allows us to identify an object? Non-absorbed light. Am I missing something?
It's still just light doing what light does and being what light is. There is nothing special about it and it certainly isn't defined as "a pattern that interacts with our retina"
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How is it flawed? If we could see in realtime, we would see instantly through the hole between the 'spokes' of the wheel. And when the hole is blocked by the spoke, we shouldn't at that instant be able to see what is behind the spoke. Which of these do you disagree with?
Bump.
Quote:
How could we see instantly through the hole between the spokes when the light is blocked. That would be magic. :eek:
How is the light blocked when there is a hole in the wheel through which it can be seen? It's not blocked by a hole, it's visible through the hole.
It's blocked when the hole is no longer visible.
Which is only for split seconds at a time, which is why the light looks as if it is flickering

Did you watch the video of the zoetrope? Are you completely retarded or are you just willing to look like a total moron to maintain your faith position?
No, I must have missed the link.

Quote:
Quote:
Can you see your ceiling through spinning ceiling fan blades when your fan is on high speed? How? If you shine a light up through the spinning fan blades does it reach the ceiling and can you see the light on the ceiling? How?
No, you can't shine a light through spinning fan blades when my fan is on high speed and see the light on the ceiling.
Quote:
No? Really? Your answer is no? Did you actually try this simple home experiment or are you saying no to maintain your faith position even though it makes you appear to be crazy and an imbecile?
As long as there's an opening where light can pass through, we will see it, whether the blades are going at a slow speed or a super high speed,
So your original answer of "No" was incorrect? Was it a mistake or a purposeful response meant to mislead in some way?

Quote:
but this doesn't have anything to do with what Lessans is claiming.
It has to do with your claims regarding the Fizeau experiment as an extension of Lessans claims.

The light could be seen through the rotating wheel EXCEPT at a specific rotation speed. If real time seeing is true, why does the wheel's rotation speed determine what we can or cannot see?

Click here for the post with the Zoetrope video
Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
we don't see the light bulb, or light source, because it's not large enough. It's ten miles away. It is not in the field of view of the rotating wheel. Light is arriving, that's true, but there is no corresponding image.
Quote:
Then you are contradicting Lessans statements regarding seeing distant stars instantly, in real time, without needing to await their light to reach us.

You can't see the "source" of starlight, there is no other visible part of a distant star* and nothing of the star is being "revealed".
He didn't say we see starlight. He said we see stars. Stars are made up of gases which are mass. That's what we see.

Quote:
So do we see stars in real time as Lessans stated or only after the light arrives on Earth as you seem to be stating now?
I don't see the contradiction. We can detect electromagnetic energy, but we cannot see images coming from that energy if the object is not in view because the image does not travel in the light, or with the light, or a part of the light. Got it?

Quote:
*Do not try to weasel as you did with this statement a few weeks ago
Quote:
Lessans didn't say we are seeing starlight in real time. He said we are seeing the actual star in real time.
The only part of a star that is visible is its light, so there is no "actual star" to see unless you are proposing we can see elemental atoms from millions of miles away.
Why can't we molecules that are made up of high density gases?

Also you contradicted yourself in that same post by saying
Quote:
If an explosion is bright enough for us to see it, it doesn't mean the light has traveled all the way to Earth.
So, according to YOU if light is bright enough to be seen we can see it without the light having to travel to Earth. All that can be seen of a supernova is its light, there is no such material object called "an explosion" to be seen
I didn't say that if light is bright enough to be seen we can see it. I said if the object is bright enough we can see it. A supernova occurs when it can't hold its own weight. We can see a Supernova because it becomes so bright that we know it has exploded.

What causes the supernova to blow up is that gravity gives the supernova it's energy. Once the core has gained so much mass that it can't withstand it's own weight, the core implodes. When the collapse is stopped by the neutrons, a bounce happens and explodes.

supernova

Quote:
So, when you say
Quote:
"Anything with a finite speed that is traveling from one point to another is not going to be seen before it arrives."
We can see any kind of explosion if it's within our field of view. What's the difference between seeing a gas explosion or seeing a star explode? They both are based on the same principle. Boy are you working overtime to try and make me look foolish. :(
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say that if light is bright enough to be seen we can see it. I said if the object is bright enough we can see it. We can see a Supernova because it becomes so bright that we know it has exploded.
Your exact words were If an explosion is bright enough for us to see it, what "object" are we seeing in an explosion?

What is the material, or "object" part of a supernova...or any explosion for that matter, that we can see and photograph? Is it seen and photographed in real time, or only once the traveling light has reached the Earth?

Quote:
Quote:
So, when you say
Quote:
We can see any kind of explosion if it's within our field of view. What's the difference between seeing a gas explosion or seeing a star explode? They both are based on the same principle. Boy are you working overtime to try and make me look foolish. :(
What's the difference between seeing a flame and seeing light from a lamp and seeing light from a star? One minute you say we can't see light from a lamp until the light travels to us then you say we can see light in the form of an explosion or from a distant star in real time.

What is an actual flame? What is the material, or "object" part of a flame? What do you think we are seeing when we see an explosion and is it in real time or delayed time because it is light and not an object?

You are the one insisting there is some sort of difference between seeing light and seeing objects. Your inconsistency and nonsensical answers is making you look foolish, not anything I am saying
Thanks, from:
Dragar (06-11-2012), specious_reasons (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, we're seeing light in real time, but this doesn't mean we can see it before it gets to us.
So we can see light in real time but only after it has taken time to travel to us? WTF?

Quote:
Quote:
He didn't say we see starlight. He said we see stars. Stars are made up of gases which are mass. That's what we see.
Are you saying when we look up at the stars we can see gasses from 100's of millions of miles away in real time, and that it looks just like light? If that's the case why can't we see a lamp from 10 miles away that looks just like light also in real time?

Do you think if we used a full spectrum filter on a photograph of a star we could see this visible mass and gas? LOLOL!

You cannot the star's mass, if we could see all mass we could see black holes.

Quote:
Quote:
We can detect electromagnetic energy, but we cannot see images coming from that energy if the object is not in view because the image does not travel in the light, or with the light, or a part of the light.
When you look up at the night sky and see stars (so they are in the field of view because Hey! You can see them!), that look only like points of light even when magnified by a telescope, are you seeing them in real time, or are you seeing their light only after it has traveled to Earth?

I am asking you to tell me what it is you are seeing with your own eyes, not about traveling images or any such bullshit weasel.

And yes, we are in total agreement that "the image does not travel in the light, or with the light, or a part of the light" that's what I have been trying to tell you. NOBODY thinks that images travel in, with, or as part of light. Nobody.

Quote:
Why can't we (see?)molecules that are made up of high density gases?
Can you see the air in a balloon? Can you see the helium in a helium balloon? Can you see the air between you and your computer monitor? Does liquid hydrogen have a visible component? liquid oxygen? Can you see water molecules in this picture?

Without visible light, there would be nothing visible in a star

Last edited by LadyShea; 06-11-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

With me so far?

I have no idea what you are trying to convey. Are you saying we see light but not the object that generates the light?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. In order to see the light source, or the object, it has to be large enough to be seen, according to the efferent view.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Because of your obnoxiousness, you have now been demoted into the cateogory "no response". Sorry, but I won't be answering your questions.
Oh noes! Demoted from "no answers (weasels only)" to "no response at all". What ever am I to do? Apparently I'm obnoxious for continuing to ask the questions that you cannot answer.

Hey Peacegirl, why don't you remind us all again of where the red photons at the film were just a moment before the object turned red and the photograph was taken.
LadyShea (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
1) Do you accept that you have significant memory impairment?

2) Are you presently in institutional care of any sort?

3) Have you ever been diagnosed or treated for any mental health related condition?

I'm still after an answer to these questions. Answer them once, honestly, and they will go away.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm saying. In order to see the light source, or the object, it has to be large enough to be seen, according to the efferent view.
How is that compatible with Lessans? You're saying that the eyes detect light. If eyes detects light, how are the eyes NOT a sense organ?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say that if light is bright enough to be seen we can see it. I said if the object is bright enough we can see it. We can see a Supernova because it becomes so bright that we know it has exploded.
Your exact words were If an explosion is bright enough for us to see it, what "object" are we seeing in an explosion?

What is the material, or "object" part of a supernova...or any explosion for that matter, that we can see and photograph? Is it seen and photographed in real time, or only once the traveling light has reached the Earth?
We see everything in real time, so we would see a supernova in real time also. We can't see the mixture of hot gases interacting, but we see the effects.

Quote:
Quote:
So, when you say
Quote:
Quote:
What's the difference between seeing a flame and seeing light from a lamp and seeing light from a star?
Seeing light that comes from a flame, a lamp, or a star is not the same thing as seeing the actual light source whether it's from a flame, a lamp, or a star.

Quote:
One minute you say we can't see light from a lamp until the light travels to us then you say we can see light in the form of an explosion or from a distant star in real time.
If light is being emitted from a light source we won't detect that light until it arrives, but in order to see the actual light source, such as the Sun, it has to be within our field of view. Remember, two things are going on. Light is always traveling, but what we see when we're looking at something in real time is a mirror image of everything in view because of how the eyes work.

Quote:
What is an actual flame? What is the material, or "object" part of a flame? What do you think we are seeing when we see an explosion and is it in real time or delayed time because it is light and not an object?
For the most part, fire is a mixture of hot gases. Flames are the result of a chemical reaction, primarily between oxygen in air and a fuel, such as wood or propane. In addition to other products, the reaction produces carbon dioxide, steam, light, and heat. If the flame is hot enough, the gases are ionized and become yet another state of matter: plasma.

What is the State of Matter of Fire or Flame? Is it a Liquid, Solid, or Gas?

Quote:
You are the one insisting there is some sort of difference between seeing light and seeing objects. Your inconsistency and nonsensical answers is making you look foolish, not anything I am saying
It's not foolish at all. We can't see photons. We detect light, that is true, and it is light that allows us to see whatever it is that exists. It does not bring us images as it travels. You keep saying light is light, which is true. The only misconception is that when light is absorbed, the non-absorbed light (or image) is reflected and therefore it takes time to arrive. Again, this doesn't mean that light is static and doesn't move. Light is in continuous motion as it constantly replaces old photons with new. The old photons continue traveling through space/time, but they do not bring the pattern of the object, since this non-absorbed (or image) light is not reflected.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
We can't see photons. We detect light, that is true
How can we detect light if we can't see photons?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How is that compatible with Lessans? You're saying that the eyes detect light. If eyes detects light, how are the eyes NOT a sense organ?
The eyes detect anything in the atmosphere that is interacting with light. If the visual spectrum is split up due to droplets of water in the atmosphere, we will see a rainbow. But we see this rainbow in real time if it's within our visual range. When light is not interacting with anything in the atmosphere, we will detect white light only, but we won't get an image.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
We see everything in real time, so we would see a supernova in real time also. We can't see the mixture of hot gases interacting, but we see the effects.
Nope, that's not possible. You say we don't see the supernova until the light arrives at our eyes. And you also say we see in realtime. So when the light arrives at our eyes, the supernova has been underway for potentially hundreds of thousands of years.

So we should never see the start of a supernova.

But we do.
LadyShea (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We can't see photons. We detect light, that is true
How can we detect light if we can't see photons?
I detect light, but I can't see photons since they have no mass.

A photon isn't MADE of anything. It is the simplest particle form of light. And matter is still the only building block in the universe, because photons have no mass, and cannot be constructed into anything

What are photons made up of, unless is something completely different from matter?? - Yahoo! Answers

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy