Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post

I'm not dishonest in any way, and I'm certainly not willfully ignorant.
You're an absolutely dishonest little cretin.

As to what you said about The Lone Ranger, you seem to forget that you denied saying it. Only after you were caught out in your lie, did you change the subject to try to justify why you said it. Of course your justification is total bullshit as well.
You seem to be very offended by what I said, but it wasn't meant to be offensive. I was just telling the truth in that there is a difference between logic and mathematics. I knew that if I said something like that, there was a reason for it.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
You see, pecegirl, you come here, before your intellectual betters and moral superiors who spent countless hours trying to educate your sorry ass, and what do you tell us? That thanks to our efforts, you revised the introduction, to eliminate redundancies.

This, of course, is an insult to us, your betters, but all you can do is whine about how you are the one is insulted. Yet the most insulting person in these discussions has always been you.
It was meant to be a compliment because I realized that in combining his 7 different books, it went into overkill.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Davidm, Peacegirl comes back yesterday at 4:06 and has posted 14 times, you have posted 11 times, everyone else has posted 12 times. You admonish everyone to stop posting and feeding Peacegirls craving for attention, but who is feeding it the most? Who is the most addicted to this thread?
That's why I'm puzzled. I think he missed me. :wink:
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just wanted to give people a heads up on my progress. Because of input from this forum I have revised the introduction to make it less redundant.
If by 'revised' you really mean 'deleted', along with 99% of the rest of the book, I would say that was a good thing, and perhaps it could be reduced to the few core ideas that Lessans was trying to push, that were possibly worth discussing. Not that there was anything worth believing but the discussion could be interesting.
I rearranged different sections so it read more smoothly, and I also took out a few passages. It is much more concise, but if I took out everything people complained about, I would have to write a new book, which I'm sure everyone would relish.
Post a link, and some of us might take a look? Not much chance of anyone here buying it after seeing the original.
I'm never putting the entire book online again after the fiasco that occurred.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:

In response to your repeated demonstrations that you know virtually nothing about the relevant anatomy and physiology, I wrote an entire essay for you.

You refused to even read it. Repeatedly. You stated on numerous occasions that you would not read it.

That's pretty-much the definition of "willful ignorance."
It wouldn't change anything Lone Ranger, because your essay (which, by the way, is very well done in my opinion) describes the different parts of the eye, but it is not enough to discredit Lessans' claim of efferent vision.
Of course it won't, if you can't be bothered to actually read it.

You'd sound less like a willful ignoramous and blithering idiot if you'd read it and make an actual effort to learn something.

Instead, you blather on about the ciliary muscles while demonstrating that you neither understand what they are nor how they function; you blather on about the optic nerve while demonstrating that you don't know anything at all about its anatomy; and you blather on about the retina while demonstrating that you know nothing at all about its anatomy or the physiology of phototransduction. And so on.

So why on Earth should anyone take your claims seriously?

Would you take seriously the claims of someone who insisted that everything we know about how airplanes fly is wrong -- when that person kept demonstrating that they didn't know what flaps or wings are, or how a propeller works? Especially if that person loudly and repeatedly insisted that they would not read a primer on the subject written by an aeronautical engineer?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-23-2012), ceptimus (04-23-2012), LadyShea (04-22-2012), Spacemonkey (04-22-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-23-2012), thedoc (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Don't you see what you're doing Spacemonkey? Because you don't like the conclusions Lessans drew, you are doing anything you can to make sure that your worldview is not damaged in any way. It's so obvious to me.
BECAUSE YOU ARE MENTALLY ILL AND SHOULD BE SEEKING PROFESSIONAL HELP.

What are you even doing here? You said you were just updating us about having edited the introduction, and weren't here to restart the conversation. But you've done that already, so why are you still posting? You're still not addressing anyone's objections or the evidence against your claims. You have no interest in doing that. All you're doing is reasserting your faith. You are completely and utterly delusional. It's just sad that even your own family won't lift a finger to help you.
thedoc (04-22-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
So what's so disrespectful about that? He was implying that because I refused to abandon claims that he believed were already tested and falsified, it is only because I haven't educated myself on these relevant matters. All I did was respond in kind by saying that if he doesn't know the difference between logic and mathematical proof, he is the one that needs to go back to school.
YOU ARE MENTALLY ILL AND SHOULD BE SEEKING PROFESSIONAL HELP.
Don't you see what you're doing Spacemonkey? Because you don't like the conclusions Lessans drew, you are doing anything you can to make sure that your worldview is not damaged in any way. It's so obvious to me.
peacegirl, Lessons has nothing to do with your insanity. What makes you insane is that after all this time and all your posts you haven't been able to figure out that for you posting here is a lost cause. A profoundly lost cause. A sane person would have figured that out many thousands of posts ago.

You really do need to get help.
I refuse to listen to your garbage again. You're going on ignore. I didn't come here for this. I just came to let people know that I've improved upon the introduction. Why is everyone compelled to answer me if they are so bored with this thread? If no one responds, game over.
peacegirl, the fact that you continue to post indicates that you are compelled to do so. Your protestations are just part of your mental illness. Then again your memory could be worse than anyone suspected, because you forgot the way in which you are received here. Apparently over 20,000 posts was not enough for you to form any kind of permanent memory, or you are so fucked up that you like the abuse. Maybe it reminds you of daddy.

Get help peacegirl.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
peacegirl, the fact that you continue to post indicates that you are compelled to do so.

Maybe it reminds you of daddy.

Get help peacegirl.

She is compelled of her own 'free will' which disproves Lessans.

She does need help to get over Daddy's especially cruel abuse. Subjecting her to 'Decline and Fall of all Evil'.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
You, and you alone, are terrified of having your "world view" overturned, because you will have realized that you have wasted your life on this utter nonsense.
That's clearly and undeniably true, of course, but let's keep our eye on the rabbit up in hyah.

Tomorrow is Monday night and I almost certainly will not be dining on perfectly cooked spaghetti and meatballs. In addition, I will be compelled (of my own free will, so to speak) to sleep in the same bed as my spouse. :faint:

You know why?

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-23-2012), LadyShea (04-23-2012), Pan Narrans (04-23-2012), Spacemonkey (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Would you take seriously the claims of someone who insisted that everything we know about how airplanes fly is wrong -- when that person kept demonstrating that they didn't know what flaps or wings are, or how a propeller works? Especially if that person loudly and repeatedly insisted that they would not read a primer on the subject written by an aeronautical engineer?
Of course she would. If his name happened to be Seymour Lessans.
thedoc (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Of course she would. If his name happened to be Seymour Lessans.

Hi, What's your take on J. C. Superstar?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 AM

I like it. I have the soundtrack album and the video. My favorite scene is the one of Jesus before Herod.

"Show me you're no fool,
Walk across my swimming pool"

I have, when discussing the differences between the four Gospels, shown both Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell to a Confirmation class. Doing so has occasionally stimulated some interesting discussion. Mostly though they are just amused at those old hippie movies.
Stephen Maturin (04-23-2012), thedoc (04-23-2012), Vivisectus (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In response to your repeated demonstrations that you know virtually nothing about the relevant anatomy and physiology, I wrote an entire essay for you.

You refused to even read it. Repeatedly. You stated on numerous occasions that you would not read it.

That's pretty-much the definition of "willful ignorance."
It wouldn't change anything Lone Ranger, because your essay (which, by the way, is very well done in my opinion) describes the different parts of the eye, but it is not enough to discredit Lessans' claim of efferent vision.
Of course it won't, if you can't be bothered to actually read it.

You'd sound less like a willful ignoramous and blithering idiot if you'd read it and make an actual effort to learn something.

Instead, you blather on about the ciliary muscles while demonstrating that you neither understand what they are nor how they function; you blather on about the optic nerve while demonstrating that you don't know anything at all about its anatomy; and you blather on about the retina while demonstrating that you know nothing at all about its anatomy or the physiology of phototransduction. And so on.
I didn't come back to be browbeaten all over again. I do know what the ciliary muscle does, but there is no proof that an undeveloped ciliary muscle is responsible for the inability of a newborn to focus its eyes. Moreover, there is nothing about the optic nerve that proves signals being transduced from the retina to the optic nerve are being interpreted as an image in the brain. All that can be said with 100% certainty is that there is a connection between what we are seeing and the cerebral cortex, but it doesn't tell us more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
So why on Earth should anyone take your claims seriously?
Because there's no reason not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
But that's not how it has transpired. I know my father would never have made claims he wasn't sure of, number one, and number two, as I repeatedly said throughout these threads, Lessans came to these findings indirectly. If he studied the parts of an eye, this would not have given him the insight that allowed him to see what others in the field could not.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
You, and you alone, are terrified of having your "world view" overturned, because you will have realized that you have wasted your life on this utter nonsense.
That's clearly and undeniably true, of course, but let's keep our eye on the rabbit up in hyah.

Tomorrow is Monday night and I almost certainly will not be dining on perfectly cooked spaghetti and meatballs. In addition, I will be compelled (of my own free will, so to speak) to sleep in the same bed as my spouse. :faint:

The fact that you joke about the quote, "I am compelled (of my own free will, so to speak) shows me how easy it is to make fun of what you don't understand. You have no clue what this quote even means.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
BECAUSE YOU ARE MENTALLY ILL AND SHOULD BE SEEKING PROFESSIONAL HELP.

What are you even doing here? You said you were just updating us about having edited the introduction, and weren't here to restart the conversation. But you've done that already, so why are you still posting? You're still not addressing anyone's objections or the evidence against your claims.
You have no evidence, that's why. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over as if this changes the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
You have no interest in doing that. All you're doing is reasserting your faith. You are completely and utterly delusional. It's just sad that even your own family won't lift a finger to help you.
I don't need my family to help me. I know that I am going to get a big response when I start to publicize this book. I have no interest in continuing the conversation because you wouldn't let me continue. You kept telling me that I have to defend his presuppositions when he did not have any presuppositions. If I observe how a car works and am describing what I see to you, there are no presuppositions. Even when I politely asked for everyone to temporarily accept the first two premises so we could move forward, no one showed any interest. I can just picture all of your stoned-faces staring back at me in self-righteous condemnation. :sadcheer:
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
The fact that you joke about the quote, "I am compelled (of my own free will, so to speak) shows me how easy it is to make fun of what you don't understand. You have no clue what this quote even means. I am a liar and a moron who can't fathom something as basic as a quote function.
Wasn't addressing you, shitnozzle. Go hump someone else's leg. Better yet, get a job.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
I know that I am going to get a big response when I start to publicize this book.
If anyone notices, you'll get a response similar to what you got here. Some people won't even be as nice as we were.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-23-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
I like it. I have the soundtrack album and the video. My favorite scene is the one of Jesus before Herod.

"Show me you're no fool,
Walk across my swimming pool"

I have, when discussing the differences between the four Gospels, shown both Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell to a Confirmation class. Doing so has occasionally stimulated some interesting discussion. Mostly though they are just amused at those old hippie movies.

Interesting, at the church we used to attend the pastor was conducting a sunday school class for teenagers and he asked who they thought Jesus would look like. At the time I was in my 30's and had longish hair and a full dark beard. All the kids in the class named me as the Jesus lookalike, sort of made me feel good, like a compliment.

My younger daughter would complain that my wife and I were not hippies when we were younger and didn't have all the cool clothes packed away that she could get out and wear now.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 AM

One of the Baptist churches in my hometown had a billboard advertising their church. It had a rather traditional picture of Jesus. You know, long hair, beard, white robe and sandals. Anyway, this was sometime around 1971 or 72 and the Jesus Movement/Jesus People/Jesus Freaks were just starting to become pretty visible in our community. Most of the mainline churches were more than a little disturbed by this sudden appearance of a bunch of Christian hippies in their midst. So, one day I am driving down the street and I happen to look up at the Baptist billboard. Jesus had gotten a makeover. They had painted out the long hair and the beard so that he now sported a much more conservative look. I guess they drew the line at putting him in Brooks Brothers's suit and a pair of wingtips. In any case, the message was clear. JESUS WAS NO DAMN HIPPIE! I laughed so hard I nearly had an accident.

In 1976, the summer after my Junior year of college, I was working as an assistant to the pastor at a Lutheran church. My job, in addition to youth ministry and hospital visitations, included assisting with the worship service and preaching on alternate Sundays. I had long hair, nearly waist length, and a full beard. There was one little girl, probably five years old or so, who absolutely refused to shake my hand after church and hid behind her mother's skirts whenever I offered her my hand. Her mother eventually explained to me that her daughter thought I was Jesus. She also thought that the pastor, who was an older gentleman with a full head of very white hair, was God. I finally managed to convince the little girl that I wasn't Jesus. I don't think I ever managed to convince her that the pastor wasn't God. For that matter, I didn't have much success convincing him of that either.
LadyShea (04-23-2012), Pan Narrans (04-23-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-23-2012), thedoc (04-23-2012), Vivisectus (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
You have no evidence, that's why. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over as if this changes the facts.
You've been presented with tons of contrary evidence, and you haven't been able to address any of it.

Quote:
I don't need my family to help me.
You're family should be helping you to get the psychiatric treatment you obviously need.

Quote:
I know that I am going to get a big response when I start to publicize this book.
No you don't. Your faith is not knowledge.

Quote:
You kept telling me that I have to defend his presuppositions when he did not have any presuppositions.
Utter bollocks. You know exactly what his presuppositions were, and you need only scroll back a couple of pages to see them.

Why are you still posting? You have no intention of addressing objections, and you've already updated us about your editorial changes. So why are you still here? The only plausible answer is that you are addicted to posting online in defence of your delusions.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 AM

Hey, could the rest of you guys like please butt out? thedoc and I are trying to have a conversation here. Geez, the nerve of some people. :hmph:
thedoc (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
I don't need my family to help me. I know that I am going to get a big response when I start to publicize this book.
Oh good grief PG, you are not sinking more money into this are you? You've already sunk the bones of 40K into this, and you won't see a penny of it back. Unless you are spending nothing but your own effort, please don't do it. And especially do not borrow the money to do it, whatever you do!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
The fact that you joke about the quote, "I am compelled (of my own free will, so to speak) shows me how easy it is to make fun of what you don't understand. You have no clue what this quote even means. I am a liar and a moron who can't fathom something as basic as a quote function.
Wasn't addressing you, shitnozzle. Go hump someone else's leg. Better yet, get a job.
Your mean-spiritedness is not becoming Stephen. Why are you starting the same bullshit all over again?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You've been presented with tons of contrary evidence, and you haven't been able to address any of it.

Quote:
I don't need my family to help me.
You're family should be helping you to get the psychiatric treatment you obviously need.

Quote:
No you don't. Your faith is not knowledge.

Quote:
You kept telling me that I have to defend his presuppositions when he did not have any presuppositions.
Utter bollocks. You know exactly what his presuppositions were, and you need only scroll back a couple of pages to see them.

Why are you still posting? You have no intention of addressing objections, and you've already updated us about your editorial changes. So why are you still here? The only plausible answer is that you are addicted to posting online in defence of your delusions.

You think you have all the answers Spacemonkey. You haven't even studied this work yet you think you have found flaws that don't actually exist. I'm absolutely dumbfounded by your arrogance.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
I don't need my family to help me. I know that I am going to get a big response when I start to publicize this book.
Oh good grief PG, you are not sinking more money into this are you? You've already sunk the bones of 40K into this, and you won't see a penny of it back. Unless you are spending nothing but your own effort, please don't do it. And especially do not borrow the money to do it, whatever you do!
I'm not borrowing money. That's why it's such a slow process. I have to save save save.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy