Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
It all depends on whether efferent vision is right. If it is, then light is not bringing the past (the image) to us. If efferent vision is wrong, then it is bringing a past image to us. As I said before, may the best man win. I believe it's too early to know even though everyone believes this has already been proved many times over.
Assuming, as you do, that efferent vision is correct. How would you describe the image of the Pinwheel Galaxy? Is the galaxy an object, a relic, a remnant, something else?

Quit dodging the very direct question with your waffling!
Although I participated in the tangent, I have been waiting for you to answer this damn question for weeks. So I am not dropping it
Thanks, from:
Dragar (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It all depends on whether efferent vision is right. If it is, then light is not bringing the past (the image) to us. If efferent vision is wrong, then it is bringing a past image to us. As I said before, may the best man win. I believe it's too early to know even though everyone believes this has already been proved many times over.
Assuming, as you do, that efferent vision is correct. How would you describe the image of the Pinwheel Galaxy? Is the galaxy an object, a relic, a remnant, something else?

Quit dodging the very direct question with your waffling!
I'm not waffling LadyShea. There is a problem with these two opposite thought systems. Science believes objects reflect light, and Lessans' believed light reflects objects or the material world. Yes, it's true that light itself can be seen (the visible spectrum) under certain atmospheric conditions, but if he is right, objects absorb light so we can see what exists in the real world; objects don't reflect images that light brings to our eyes. I can see that the conversation turned back to space, which is not the direction I wanted to go. I can't answer all these physics questions because I'm not a physicist and I'm not pretending to be. I still hope that people will consider the possibility that there could be something to Lessans' claims even if they don't see it now. All I can do is give you the reasoning and observations that led him to these conclusions. I want to stop this part of the discussion for now because the answers are not going to be found in this thread, and because I think the discussion has ran its course.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
All I can do is give you the reasoning and observations that led him to these conclusions.

Then you should give us the specifics of those aledged observations so that we can evaluate them for ourselves. Just like good emperical data that can be independently verified by others, these observations should be repeatable by others and verified. However if there were no observations, then Lessans would be proved a fraud. What did he observe.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM

OMG answer the question. You don't have to be a physicist to answer it, it's a simple question.

Is the Pinwheel Galaxy an object, a relic, a remnant, a clue? What is it?
You can look at the image, what is it YOU think you are looking at? What is it an image of, in your opinion?

Seriously if Lessans was on to anything real, it shouldn't matter if the picture is of a galaxy, a kitty cat, a rainbow, or a car. The correct explanation for an observation works across all examples.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (10-31-2011), The Lone Ranger (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
We have a certain nature, and it is this nature that crosses all religious, political, gender, or denominational lines.
That's raw, unadulterated woo right there.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
davidm (10-31-2011), LadyShea (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
OMG answer the question. You don't have to be a physicist to answer it, it's a simple question.

You can look at the image, what is it YOU think you are looking at? What is it an image of, in your opinion?

Seriously if Lessans was on to anything real, it shouldn't matter if the picture is of a galaxy, a kitty cat, a rainbow, or a car. The correct explanation for an observation works across all examples.
This is fascinating. peacegirl, why are you so struggling to answer this question?
davidm (10-31-2011), LadyShea (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 PM

I am still reeling from the invocation of dark matter to avoid answering this question.
Thanks, from:
davidm (10-31-2011), Dragar (11-01-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

But there is plenty of light in the universe, and 'Dark Matter' is big enough to see, and if we look in the right direction it would be in our line of sight, So if efferent vision is correct why can't we see 'Dark Matter'? We can see other objects that are a dark color? We should also be able to see a 'Black Hole', some of them are really big, there is a lot of light, they just suck it in like crazy, and scientists know where to look, Why can't we see 'Black Holes'?
Thanks, from:
Dragar (10-31-2011), LadyShea (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
and the light that is traveling at a finite speed has not gotten there yet because the path it is taking is longer than the other pathyway, it makes sense that one image would be seen before the other, and still not negate real time seeing.

No-one said the light has not gotten here yet, there is a constant stream of light from the object to us. What was stated is that the one image would be of the same galaxy just slightly older than the other image. The light for both images is arriving all the time but we are seeing two images at the same time, that are of slightly different ages of the same galaxy. You seem to be misunderstanding, or deliberately trying to obstruct the dialogue by suggesting that the light from these distant objects is just now arriving and had not been here before. Almost as if you believe that God has just turned them on for us to see when we look. There are objects in the Universe that do appear to turn on and off but galaxies are not one of them.
Bump.

Just wanted to try it, fun, but not as much as the dance, that was for all the B.O.F.s out there.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think that if the discussion could move on to 'free will', 'determinism' and some of the other philosophical subjects it could revive some of the interest and attract a few more contributers.
Nope, because her and Lessans' claims are a dead loss there as well, and have already been shown to be so, by me, around, oh, page 20 or so. The argument commits a straighforward modal fallacy. Way back when I also linked to some papers on this; will re-link if the conversation returns to this subject. But she and Lessans are as hopelessly wrong here as they are on light and sight.

I was not really thinking of Peacegirl and Lessans contribution, but of everyone elses, much like the debate on sight, Peacegirl/Lessans offer nothing but nonsense, but other posters have provided a great deal of useful and interesting dialogue.
The Modal Fallacy

Lecture Notes on Free Will and Determinsim

Foreknowledge and Free Will

All by Prof. Norman Swartz, professor emeritus of philosophy at Simon Fraser University. If you Google him you will also find that he is the author of three splendid books on philosophy and each book can be downloaded for free. Nice stuff here; of course peacegirl won’t read any of it because (1.) I doubt she has the intellectual capacity and (2.) I know she doesn’t have the intellectual integrity, because the above-linked papers thoroughly refute Lessans’ “arguments” on free will and determinism.
I don't care about Swartz' credentials. That should not even be part of the conversation, and for you to use that as some kind of proof is very telling. I read some of the papers. Lessans' proof has nothing to do with any of these modal fallacies. You can't stand that you could be wrong about Lessans, can you? Well you are, and it will come out whether it's in this thread or some other avenue. The truth always wins David.
Just like the dishonest little shit that you are to be suggesting that I thought Swartz is right because of his credentials. I was merely introducing him to people who may not have heard of him, that's all. It's also just like your father; you and he have turned everything upside down. You both seem to feel that someone will be wrong because of their advanced credentials; and that lame-brain seventh-grade dropout pool hustlers like your father will be right because they are lame-brain seventh-grade dropout pool hustlers.

Fuck you, peacegirl. The proof is in the pudding, as you like to say. Those articles aren't right because of the credentials of who wrote them. They are right because they correctly identify the LOGIC behind the modal fallcy that your idiot father straightforwardly commits. And so, just as he was wrong about reality, so too is he wrong about logic itself. Too fucking bad, peacegirl.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
All of this comes down to is a vendetta because, like David, you don't like the implications.
Wrong again, you lying sack of shit. There is no vendetta here, and no one cares about the implications. Lessans is wrong because he is wrong.

That's all that matters.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Notes on Free Will and Determinism - Prof. Norman Swartz

peacegirl, see specifically 4. and 5. at the above link, and carefully consider this sentence from that section:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swartz
not everything that is actually true is necessarily true
This comment makes no sense in terms of this natural law. There is no "necessarily true" until something becomes an actuality. In other words, it is only necessarily true that someone had to wear a certain hat because he did, in fact, wear that hat as the choice that was most preferable given his particular circumstances. There was no foreknowledge that said it is necessarily true that he must choose that hat before actually choosing it.
:lol:
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
I can't answer all these physics questions because I'm not a physicist and I'm not pretending to be.
You're not a physiologist either. That hasn't stopped you from telling an actual physiologist how the eye works. And getting it spectacularly wrong.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (11-01-2011), Kael (11-01-2011), LadyShea (10-31-2011), Spacemonkey (11-01-2011), Stephen Maturin (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Obviously, you want me to say that the Hubble Deep Field experiment received images of galaxies that existed when the universe began. As far as the Pinwheel Galaxy, this is what is believed to be happening and I'm going to leave it at that.

When something is 21 million light years away, that means it's taken 21 million years for that light to get to us. So it has been a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away.

Supernova Burns Bright in a Galaxy Not So Far Away | PBS NewsHour | Sept. 7, 2011 | PBS
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

peacegirl, see specifically 4. and 5. at the above link, and carefully consider this sentence from that section:
Quote:
This comment makes no sense in terms of this natural law. There is no "necessarily true" until something becomes an actuality. In other words, it is only necessarily true that someone had to wear a certain hat because he did, in fact, wear that hat as the choice that was most preferable given his particular circumstances. There was no foreknowledge that said it is necessarily true that he must choose that hat before actually choosing it.
I really don't see what's so funny David.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
All of this comes down to is a vendetta because, like David, you don't like the implications.
Wrong again, you lying sack of shit. There is no vendetta here, and no one cares about the implications. Lessans is wrong because he is wrong.

That's all that matters.
It seems that the intensity of your emotions are disproportionate to the discussion. Maybe the word "vendetta" isn't appropriate, because I don't think you're out to get me, but you are very determined to make sure everyone knows how wrong Lessans is.

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-01-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
We have a certain nature, and it is this nature that crosses all religious, political, gender, or denominational lines.
That is not woo. I was trying to point out that a law of nature has no exceptions; it is universal. A law of nature is not a contingent truth; it is a necessary truth.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you want me to say that {weasel, backtrack, move goalposts, waffle} As far as the Pinwheel Galaxy,{blah blah blah irrelevant copypaste}
I want you to answer the fargin question

Is the Pinwheel Galaxy an object, a relic, a remnant, a clue? What is it? You can look at the image, what is it YOU think you are looking at? What is it an image of, in your opinion?

Last edited by LadyShea; 10-31-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (11-01-2011), Stephen Maturin (11-01-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You don't understand the difference between an actual truth and a necessary truth, for one thing.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
That is not woo.
The notion that humans have such "certain nature" that exists independent of any sociocultural considerations is pretty much quintessential woo.

Quote:
I was trying to point out that a law of nature has no exceptions; it is universal.
Lex naturalis, eh? Great, just great. That always leads to wonderfully productive discussions. "It's a natural law because it's universal. We know it's universal because natural laws are universal by definition! Circular? Whadaya mean, circular?! stfu ya big fat meanie!!"

This here woo parade just keeps growing in length. But hey, everybody loves a parade!

Quote:
A law of nature is not a contingent truth; it is a necessary truth.
You'd benefit from studying up on the meaning of "contingent" and "necessary" in this context.

Or maybe not.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Dragar (11-01-2011), LadyShea (11-01-2011), Spacemonkey (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
How this occurs I really don't know. I am not an astronomer. There are many theories that could explain this phenomenon. I'm not sure what they are. That being said, I still maintain that there is a way of reconciling this apparent discrepancy and still keep the position of real time seeing.
You don't know what the correct explanation is, but you are sure that some explanation must exist that allows for real time seeing. How is this anything other than a statement of faith? Don't get me wrong, I, rather obviously, have no objection to making statements of faith. I do have an objection to making statements of faith and trying to pretend that they are something other than statements of faith.
I don't think this is just a matter of faith although, like you, I believe having faith is a good thing to have in our troubled world.
So explain to me how your statement differs from a statement of faith.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You don't understand the difference between an actual truth and a necessary truth, for one thing.
I said the difference between a contingent and necessary truth, not an actual truth, whatever that means.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How this occurs I really don't know. I am not an astronomer. There are many theories that could explain this phenomenon. I'm not sure what they are. That being said, I still maintain that there is a way of reconciling this apparent discrepancy and still keep the position of real time seeing.
You don't know what the correct explanation is, but you are sure that some explanation must exist that allows for real time seeing. How is this anything other than a statement of faith? Don't get me wrong, I, rather obviously, have no objection to making statements of faith. I do have an objection to making statements of faith and trying to pretend that they are something other than statements of faith.
I don't think this is just a matter of faith although, like you, I believe having faith is a good thing to have in our troubled world.
It's not a matter of faith when something is proven scientifically. I believe Lessans did prove something that can be empirically tested (which relies on science), and that's why I don't call Lessans' observations faith.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 AM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I said the difference between a contingent and necessary truth, not an actual truth, whatever that means.
It's fairly simple, really. An actual truth is something that did in fact happen. A possible truth is something that could happen. A necessary truth is something that couldn't happen any other way no matter the circumstances.

I typed this on my computer. That is an actual truth.
It was a possible truth before I did it. It was never a necessary truth for one simple reason: there are many, many factors that could easily have prevented me from typing this, ranging from personal choices to power failure to website errors. Since it is not true that this couldn't possibly have happened any other way, it is not a necessary truth, despite the fact that it did actually happen. Hence, it is possible for a truth to be actual but not necessary.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not a matter of faith when something is proven scientifically. I believe Lessans did prove something that can be empirically tested (which relies on science), and that's why I don't call Lessans' observations faith.
It is just possible that some of Lessans' claims could be empirically tested and found to be correct. However, given that they have not been tested and demonstrated to be correct, your belief that they are correct is a matter of faith and your stated conviction that they will be so demonstrated is a statement of faith.
LadyShea (11-01-2011), Spacemonkey (11-01-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy