Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2020, 11:30 AM
puzzler

Default Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, and though I'm enjoying the book, it's rather hard work on account of the very long sentences which often contain many clauses that interrupt the flow of meaning and make the sentences incomprehensible until I've read them several times, used by the author, and the multitude of characters introduced only by name with their personalities gradually described in short bursts of text often spaced several pages apart: especially as one never knows whether a character will be an important to the plot - not that the book has any sort of plot in the usual sense - or perhaps never mentioned again, but I suppose the book was written a long time ago when longer sentences were the norm and authors expected readers to work harder than they do today, and has a certain style which sets it apart from the mere commonplace lightweight novel.

Last edited by ceptimus; 10-07-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (10-07-2020), JoeP (10-07-2020), Sock Puppet (10-08-2020), viscousmemories (10-21-2020), vremya (03-17-2021)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature