View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Default Re: All things pink and flowery, all things blue and buildable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I suspect that it's more socially acceptable for girls to make selections from the boys toy aisle than for boys to buy designated "girls" stuff. A tomboy is more accepted than a sissy, in general.

Is that true in your experience, wei and Sock and other parents of girls?
Like wei, since I only have a girl, I don't know from the boy side of it these days. I actually want to blather awhile around the general subject, though, but I only have a few minutes before I get back to screwing up some pinch-hit work for an absent coworker.

My daughter is definitely girly, but more into puppies than princesses. She made the distinction maybe 3 years ago: "I don't like pretty things, I like cute things." Rather cut to the heart of matters as a then-5-year-old. Inasmuch as she even watches the Disney flicks anymore, she seems to consider the princesses a means to an end to get to the talking animals and such.

And while she's by no means a tomboy (she doesn't seem to care for any sports, p. much like I was at that age), for some reason she is fierce and determined in her preference for blue. If anything comes in blue, she'll pick it, and if it doesn't, why the hell not? When we got this house (she was 3), it had a "princess room" in pink, which was fine then, but now her room is all in blues and aquamarines. She doesn't raise a fuss about wearing pink, but when shopping for new clothes, she always picks the blues.

She did go through a phase where she had to label everything as "for boys" or "for girls." Mrs. Puppet and I avoided being militant about it, but we did constantly remind her that most things didn't really need a rigid gender designation. I think it was during this period that she decided that blue was her color. I even told her about the story of the pink/blue flip-flop; if it's an urban legend, I found it a useful one, anyway.

She's never been into Legos, so can't really gauge what her reaction to this would be. Probably she'd complain that only one cat came with the set, and no dog.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-17-2012), Demimonde (01-16-2012), Kael (01-16-2012), LadyShea (01-16-2012), lisarea (01-16-2012), livius drusus (01-16-2012), wei yau (01-17-2012)

Page generated in 0.13091 seconds with 11 queries