Thread: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Default Re: Return to Gender 101

I know this was originally was about gender, but we've wandered far enough that this seems relevant. While I had this thread open on my computer, my colleague, prompted by a discussion with a patron told me an anecdote from Michael Moore's memoire. One thing you should know is that my coworker grew up in the same town as Michael Moore and is only a little bit older so he knows most of the people and incidents mentioned in the book.

Moore was on the school board in Davison, MI while still a teen. He wanted them to make a resolution saying the school district was dedicated to inclusion of people of all races, creeds and colors. He was told they did that anyway because it was the law, at which he pointed out that there were very few Black families in Davison. A woman on the school board responded, "Michael, people live where they want."

Seems like a sterling example of privilege to me.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (12-30-2011), livius drusus (12-30-2011)

Page generated in 0.81168 seconds with 11 queries