View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Tellifying

Default Re: All things pink and flowery, all things blue and buildable

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was looking for a thread with a clever title.

The way I see the "Lego Friends" sets isn't that they are saying these are Legos for girls. I'd imagine that girls who want to play with Legos, already do, like my own daughters. They use the existing licensed property sets or the increasingly scarce generic sets.

Instead "Lego Friends" is targeted at girls who don't already play with Lego. Lego is trying to reach them in the girls' toys aisle, since most retailers stock the Lego sets near the boys' toys aisles. Although, the big box stores tend to have dedicated Lego sections, like Toys R Us. But, even at Target, the Lego section is right next to the boy section and far removed from the girls section.

The sets themselves are themed very conventionally, I'll admit. It's all cafes, flower shops and animal clinics. But, there are a few nods to less conventional ideas, like "Olivia's Invention Lab:

Sure, it's only one set in a larger product line, but if it proves popular, then be sure Lego will offer more.

Of course, since these are Legos, you're not limited to what's pictured on the box. This is something that was built from the Lego Friends sets (for the most part)

In the end, I agree that Lego is playing into the societal expectations. They are doing this in conjunction with both retailers and consumers, however. I can see why Lego feels that this is the most effective way of reaching girls who don't already play with Legos.

Page generated in 0.44550 seconds with 11 queries