View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: What's up with you?

There are some loose stones in the woods at one of the nearby state parks, and I thought I'd take a jaunt out to the park this evening to do a bit of herping. Now normally when I go to the park, I take along a camera, just in case I should encounter any interesting flora or fauna that I might need to take some pictures of. The thought occurred to me as I got in the car and left campus that maybe I should go home first and pick up my camera. "Nah," I thought, "how likely is it that I'll run across anything I don't already have pictures of?"

So I get to the park, find the stones, and start turning them over to see if there's anything interesting underneath. Holy cow! Snake city! In less than 10 minutes' time, I uncover some 20 snakes or so. Most of them were Garter Snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis), as it turns out. Interesting, but nothing spectacular.

A couple of the snakes were juvenile Northern Water Snakes (Nerodia sipedon). Again, interesting but not spectacular.

Under one of the rocks was a juvenile Garter Snake. I was about to set the rock back down again when something in my brain said, "Wait a minute; there's something strange about that snake." So I grabbed it to get a better look. Immediately, I realized I was holding a Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi)! In this part of the country, a naturalist might go his entire life without seeing one of these elusive little reptiles.

And I didn't bring my camera.

Turning over some more rocks, I found a few more snakes, then the biggest Long-Tailed Salamander (Eurycea longicauda) I've ever seen. Another rock had not one but two Slimy Salamanders (Plethodon glutinosus) under it -- another species that can be quite difficult to find around here.

Best day of herping I've had in years. And I didn't bring my camera!

Okay, so tomorrow evening I'm going back. This time, I'll definitely bring my camera. With luck, I'll be able to find those critters again.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-03-2009), Demimonde (07-18-2009), freemonkey (07-04-2009), livius drusus (07-03-2009), Shelli (07-04-2009), viscousmemories (07-03-2009), Watser? (07-04-2009)

Page generated in 0.10920 seconds with 11 queries