Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > slimshady2357

Rate this Entry

My buns are the best!

Posted 09-03-2007 at 10:08 AM by slimshady2357

It's true, Sou tells me so. They may not be perfectly round and they're definitely not firm, but they do smell delicious. Seriously, one whiff of my soft, scrumptious buns and you'll want to take a big bite out of them. They're 2/3 brown and 1/3 white even though the sun rarely caresses their supple skin.

I make them in our Morphy Richards Breadmaker, which was worth every penny. You have to shape them and bake them in the oven, but the breadmaker turns the various ingredients into nice dough for you. And they have just water, flour, butter, salt, sugar, yeast and milk powder in them, so they seem healthier than store bought ones.

For some people, a breadmaker ends up as another rarely-if-ever used appliance sitting in the corner or tucked away in a cupboard. Not so for us, I use that sucker at least twice a week and sometimes more. The bread is lovely too, but nothing beats my fantastic buns.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 51231 Comments 9 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Okay first of all, it has to be said that your profile picture makes beautiful music with the title of this entry. :squee:

Duty done, let's turn to pleasure. You tempt me, sir, with your talk of your delicious, fragrant, soft, warm buns. I wasn't sure I could rationalize yet another small appliance, but if I could have your buns every day, it might just be worth it.
  2. Old Comment
    Mmmm.
    Updated 09-04-2007 at 10:59 PM by Dingfod
  3. Old Comment
    I love my breadmaker! I love to make my pizza crusts with it. It really is wonderful.
  4. Old Comment
    Hell ya! The pizza dough is fantastic. I usually make it with about 2/3 brown flour as well, it's lovely. I try to make it when I have a day off.

I'll make the dough, roll it out into the pizza bases and then put it in the over for about 10 mins. I find that if you put it in the over for 10 mins, then put all the toppings on and shove it back into the oven for another 15 mins the dough comes out much nicer. It cooks more thoroughly.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pizza.
  5. Old Comment
    OOh, good idea about cooking the dough for ten minutes! I've never tried it with brown flour, I'll have to give it a try.

What's the most common kind of dough you make with your breadmaker?
  6. Old Comment
    I make the 1/3 white 2/3 brown buns the most. The girls take them on their lunches to school, so I make them at least twice a week. Then we make the pizza dough about once every 2 weeks and lastly we make a loaf of bread about once every two weeks too. So I usually use the bread maker about 3 times a week.

The fresh buns recipe is:

1.25 cups water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons milk powder
    1.25 teaspoons salt
    1.25 cups strong white flour
    2.5 cups strong brown flour
    2 tablespoons melted butter (I admit, I use a little more than that :D)
    1.25 teaspoons yeast

And of course it's the 'bun dough' setting on the bread maker ;)

When it's done I shape them and let them sit (rise) for about 20 minutes. Finally shove them in the oven on about 180C for about 15 mins, but really until they are just starting to brown on top.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm buns, I'm going to make some tomorrow and have a BBQ! :meatcook:
  7. Old Comment
    Thanks a bunch for the recipe! I'll have to give them a try this week.
  8. Old Comment
    Sounds delish, Slim. I might just land me a breadmaker when I'm employed again.
    Posted 09-24-2007 at 06:25 PM by viscousmemories viscousmemories is offline
  9. Old Comment
    Of course you could half the salt and sugar - it makes no difference to the taste :yup:

Sou