Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs

Old

Dog eating dead bird = Not good

Posted 05-17-2009 at 04:37 AM by Shelli
Tags dogs

Last night is the first time that my dog, Raistlin, had :shit: at all in two days and the first time in just about two WEEKS that he'd had a solid bowel movement since he pulled a stupid and ate a dead bird. :brooding:

At first it was just your typical wet stool diarrhea, but then it progressed into a projectile diarrhea and then into a projectile, almost clear diarrhea. It looked like he was peeing out of his butt except that there was a hell of a lot more of it. It looked like someone...
ŧiggermonkey
Posted in Fur Kids
Old

Deadheading

Posted 05-17-2009 at 04:03 AM by Shelli
Tags plants

So, I've learned that deadheading flowering plants not only makes them more aesthetically pleasing, but also promotes re-blooming and better overall plant growth. :eelement:

I've done some deadheading on my snap dragons outside, and today, I deadheaded my Kalanchoe that I have hanging in the living room. I looked up how to do it and I'm glad I did. I would have thought that I should just pinch off the dead and dying flower clusters, but in researching it, I found that you are supposed...
ŧiggermonkey
Old

The Passion That is Purple

Posted 05-17-2009 at 03:51 AM by Shelli

I was back at the garden center as I had a spot in my bedroom that I had yet to fill and just as I was lamenting about the poor choice I had of non-poisonous plants... :gasp:... I spied the most awesome, purple, fuzzy plant! :hyper:

Like the Pilea, the Purple Passion plant required some peat moss and perlite added to a high quality potting soil and indirect light. The Purple Passion has a soft fuzzy feel to it though, rather than the rather hard fuzzy feel to the Pilea. :^^
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0620.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	948.0 KB
ID:	11  
ŧiggermonkey
Old

Pink Polka Dots & Fuzzy Exotica

Posted 05-17-2009 at 03:39 AM by Shelli
Tags plants

Before my delved into outside plants, I had bought two more house plants. One for the office, a Pink Polka-Dot plant, and one for my living room, a Pilea Mollis or "Moon Valley".

The Pink Polka-Dot plant is sitting pretty in a nice, dark blue ceramic pot filled with Miracle Gro regular potting soil. It needs lots of bright, but indirect light, so it's sitting on a ledge next to my window but not in direct sunlight.

The Pilea Mollis is really cool with dual...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0617.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	995.4 KB
ID:	10  
ŧiggermonkey
Old

Pansies, Snap Dragons & Violas.. Oh My! :0

Posted 05-17-2009 at 03:17 AM by Shelli
Updated 05-17-2009 at 04:47 AM by Shelli

Last Friday, on my day off, I took my time picking out flowers for two planters; one for my mother-in-law's grave site for Mother's Day and one for my back porch railing. Before going, I researched which flowers did well in New England Spring weather which can be too cool for some plants. So, after I did that, off I went to the garden center with my list of acceptable flowering plants for the season. :sml:

This is what I came home with: Snap Dragons, Violas & Pansies :shakepansy:...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0632.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	1,023.8 KB
ID:	6   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0651.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	1,004.5 KB
ID:	7   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0636.jpg
Views:	1069