Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > biochemgirl

Rate this Entry

My random thoughts for the day

Posted 04-18-2008 at 01:29 AM by biochemgirl

I was thinking on the way to work this morning...just when the hell did I become an adult? What the hell..I have a J-O-B. Not just a job but a career even! I have a mortgage, I have a car payment, I have bills to pay. I'm all like adult-y and I didn't even know it. Here I am just plugging away and I didn't even realize I'm like...*gasp*.... a grown up! O.k, o.k., not that I didn't know this...but realizing it is just another thing all together. It's not like I haven't been through enough..I mean I feel a lot older, I just don't feel like I could possibly be an adult. Wasn't I in high school just yesterday?

And then you add being a military spouse into all this...and the painstakingly long separations that entails. Not only am I an adult, I'm doing this whole adult thing on my own right now. And that's not nearly as much fun. I get to pay all the bills, most importantly the mortgage so the bank doesn't like..repossess our house... I have to make sure the heater and air conditioner are working, I get to deal with any household emergencies (hello leaking sink..AGAIN). I've got to deal with digging my way out of the snow and then in about a month I will get to deal with the fun of mowing the lawn...all 4 acres of it. Changing light bulbs in precarious places? Yup, that's all me too.

Not that doing all this, and doing it on your own, doesn't give one some sort of pride and accomplishment. Because it does. But occasionally all the responsibility and added strain of separation wears on you and totally snuffs out that little light called pride of independence. Yup...woohoo I'm an independent woman... but is it break time now?

Can I just get a vacation from this? Not a permanent one, just a little getaway some place sunny. Some place where uttering the words "calorie", "Army" or "responsibility" are met with blank stares of incomprehension. Just let me go to sleep and wake up on some warm and sunny beach somewhere WITH my husband.

Oh and a fruity drink.

With an umbrella.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 13110 Comments 1 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    My treatment for feelings like this is video games. :yup: (results may vary)