Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > Cream of The Crap

Flying Stuff about my adventures learning to fly.
Old

Flying Update - Blog Future

Posted 06-12-2008 at 09:40 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

Well, my decision was to discontinue gliding. It was fun, but I don't have the $300-400 a week to spend on a hobby.

I still plan to post to my blog though. :yup: I have some ideas as to what might go here. One is that I am going to try RC plane flying so I will try to get some pictures/video/commentary of that.

I was also thinking of trying a book review, that might be fun. Though I may never be motivated enough to actually write it. :shrug: Sometimes boredom can be...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

Second Thoughts...

Posted 06-02-2008 at 04:41 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

:(

I guess because yesterday was the first of the month I was sent a bill for the flying I did Saturday. I took two flights, discovered I had gotten worse for the break I had. My first flight was still on my 5-pack of lessons, my second flight I paid full price for.

It was $ 67.50. :glare: George says I should do about 4-5 flights a week in order to get enough practice and eventually get good enough to solo. :sadcheer: That's around $300 a week! :eek:

Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

Time Missed / Limbo Land

Posted 05-31-2008 at 08:51 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

So, I have been unable to fly for more than a month due to annoying circumstances. So today I was back in the air for two flights and had a lot to relearn. :sadyup:

It seems I was better at landing and following the tow plane the first time I tried. Now I am struggling and swerving around and just generally not as good as the first time. But now my 5-pack of lessons has run out. The good news is that I don't have to pay the sign up fee yet. I can take my lessons until I am ready to...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

Flying Update / Decision Point

Posted 04-29-2008 at 08:38 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

I've flown three times since my first flight. (Four total) I figured it was time for an update.

I practiced my turning a lot, did a little bit of following the tow plane while it was pretty straight, I half landed the last time (I didn't control the dive brake).

Out of all of that the towing was the most difficult. The glider slipped and slid around so much trying to keep it lined up and in the right position was very difficult.

I am learning a lot and...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

First Flight, part 2

Posted 04-15-2008 at 06:54 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

The take off is a bumpy ride down the grass runway. But it is very short. Before I know it the glider is rising. (But my stomach stays on the ground.) It lifts above the ground before the tow plane and the glider pilot has to keep down so as not to lift the planes tail and send it into the ground.

Once the tow plane starts to lift the glider things feel more solid. It is a nice time for me to look around and enjoy the experience, but for my instructor it is the most challenging part...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying