Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 AM

Default Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of children by religions? Is it chi

Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of children by religions? Is it child abuse?

Islam begins their indoctrination and brainwashing of their children by early memorizing of the Qur’an, even before their children know the meaning of what they are reading. Recently, in the U.K., some Muslim schools have been closed for preaching anti-Semitism.

Christianity also indoctrinates and brainwashes their children from a young age into their belief systems.

Wellesley, Massachusetts Public School Students Learn to Pray to Allah - YouTube

Jesus Camp 1of 9.flv - YouTube

Fundamentalist Christian Boot Camp Part 1 - YouTube

I see all of this indoctrination and proselytizing to children as going against the free will choice of children, when they are older, to choose religion or not, as well as their choice of a religion for it’s moral and ethical views as compared to their indoctrinated and possibly brainwashed choice based on what the father and mother believe in.

Be they political or religious views, parents do have some right to try to have their children follow in their footsteps. I do wonder though if indoctrination and or brainwashing of our children should be allowed to the degree that we allow it.

This thread was born of my viewing the first link and listening to a woman complain about non-Muslims praying in a mosque. Perhaps a valid point since that action was not stated in the agenda. I admit to not knowing if she was Christian or not but her, --- oh my God, --- exclamation made me wonder what Christians thought of this issue of indoctrination and or brainwashing of children since they do it to their own.

Some apologists, like Christopher Hitchens, have termed such teachings as abuse of children.

Which religion, Islam or Christianity, is hurting their children the most?
And.
Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of all children by religions?

Regards
DL
Old 12-18-2015, 12:18 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of children by religions? Is it

Dammit, Gnotta Christian Bigot, have you been out indoctrinating children again?

Haven't we warned you about that? It's just going to get you in trouble, y'know?
Nobody cares about the pleroma and people are going to get suspicious about your 'special knowledge'. :nudge:

And that chi stuff....stay away from that. It's just woo, man. Chinese woo, too. Oooo.
But (12-19-2015), JoeP (12-18-2015), Stormlight (12-18-2015), The Man (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Fishy mokey

Default Re: Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of children by religions? Is it

Are you ever gonna stop asking stupid questions?
But (12-19-2015), chunksmediocrites (01-15-2016), Qingdai (12-18-2015), Sock Puppet (12-18-2015), Stephen Maturin (12-18-2015), Stormlight (12-18-2015), The Man (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 01:37 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

CHI it's Qi

Will you ever learn the letter count on a title? Survey says, unteachable.
But (12-19-2015), ChuckF (12-19-2015), JoeP (12-18-2015), livius drusus (12-18-2015), Stephen Maturin (12-18-2015), Stormlight (12-18-2015), The Man (12-18-2015), Watser? (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 03:54 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
CHI it's Qi

Well, now it is.
Qingdai (12-19-2015), Stormlight (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 04:44 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Are you ever gonna stop asking stupid questions?

Not likely.
Watser? (12-21-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 04:49 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Teach your children, or grandchildren, the truth, as you know it, and then turn them loose. That's the best you can do. You can't teach them someone else's truth, that wouldn't be honest.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Some forms of religious practice and indoctrination are child abuse in my book.

Most of them are best addressed through secular regulations (physical abuse and the like), rather than targeting religion per se. Personally, I'd be fine with, say, giving proper medical care on the children of Christian Scientists against their parents' will.

Other behaviors, like making children terrified of going to hell are difficult to see any way to address within the law.
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-18-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 06:07 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

I had thought about posting a lengthy and well reasoned response to this question, but I find I lack the time as I am busy preparing this week's lesson for catechism class.
lisarea (12-21-2015), Pan Narrans (12-21-2015), Sock Puppet (12-28-2015), Stephen Maturin (12-21-2015), Stormlight (12-21-2015), The Man (12-21-2015), Watser? (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:11 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I am not aware of any Brainwashing or Indoctrination techniques in any of the churches I am familiar with. Usually the children are quite ready to listen to what you believe and tell them, no-one is forcing them to listen, children listen because they want to hear.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Teach your children, or grandchildren, the truth, as you know it, and then turn them loose. That's the best you can do. You can't teach them someone else's truth, that wouldn't be honest.
Yet much of what religion teaches are not only lies but harmful lies.

This quick link shows the latest science on this.

Is God Mad at You? - YouTube

Regards
DL
Old 01-15-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Some forms of religious practice and indoctrination are child abuse in my book.

Most of them are best addressed through secular regulations (physical abuse and the like), rather than targeting religion per se. Personally, I'd be fine with, say, giving proper medical care on the children of Christian Scientists against their parents' will.

Other behaviors, like making children terrified of going to hell are difficult to see any way to address within the law.
Please see the link I put just above and recognize that we could likely legislate against outright lies that have a detrimental effect on children's mental health.

Regards
DL
Old 01-15-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
I had thought about posting a lengthy and well reasoned response to this question, but I find I lack the time as I am busy preparing this week's lesson for catechism class.
Which means you know there is an issue but you would rather stick to the lies.

Regards
DL
Old 01-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
I am not aware of any Brainwashing or Indoctrination techniques in any of the churches I am familiar with. Usually the children are quite ready to listen to what you believe and tell them, no-one is forcing them to listen, children listen because they want to hear.
Perhaps you do not get out often enough.

Let's see if you can recognize the concepts.

Would you call the grandmother in this clip brainwashed or just indoctrinated?

Would you call the preacher in this clip brainwashed or just indoctrinated?

Exorcising Children in Congo, Africa. - YouTube

Regards
DL
Old 01-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

:belch:
Stormlight (01-17-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Solipsist

:badpenny:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (01-17-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Notice how harmful to our children religious indoctrination is in terms of our altruism.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/...822(15)01167-7

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamar.../#3089d3fa670e

Regards
DL
Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 PM
Fishy mokey

Talk like Yoda why do you?
JoeP (01-28-2016), Stormlight (02-03-2016), The Man (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Solipsist

Verbal diarrhoea, he has

Wisdom, he lacks

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (01-30-2016), Sock Puppet (01-28-2016), Stephen Maturin (01-28-2016), Stormlight (02-03-2016), The Man (01-28-2016), Watser? (01-28-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy