Old 10-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Default Re: SCOTAL Itch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
(citation omitted)
:laugh:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM
null and void

Stephen,

From my first post (#419) in this thread…

government's role (within the context of my presented notion) is simply as arbiter of contract dispute (not as licenser or sanctioner or promoter

Currently gov licenses marriages (pony up your bucks, get your piece of paper); gov sanctions marriages (you straight folks can marry, you gay folks cannot); gov promotes marriage (if you marry you can file jointly and save some bucks).

If folks could bind themselves legally to one another by way of contract (as they currently do in many areas) then the gov would have no place as licenser; the gov would have no say in who can bind themselves to another; the gov couldn't incentive a behavior.

What gov could do is what it does now for all manner of contracts, that being: arbitrate disputes.

As it stands now: gov is involved in marriage from hopeful start to regrettable ending.

If marriage were (dare I say it) 'privatized': then gov would only be involved in the regrettable ending (and only if there is a dispute that needs settling [some marriages end amicably]).

As for the whole “Lolbertarianism” thing: I’m not a libertarian (as my post over in ‘Basis of land ownership’ illustrates), so you can poke someone else with that stick.

#

Kael,

Thank you for your explanation.

Last edited by Henry Quirk; 10-09-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: removed an unnecessary line
Old 10-09-2014, 03:50 PM
null and void

And: yes, some effort has been made in this thread by other folks. (my apologies for not recognizing this).

Let me address those concerns that stand out to me…

“why don't we just throw out hundreds of years of civil law”

Law and regulation are not static. The current effort (on multiple fronts) to make gay marriage legal is evidence of that. Not seein’ how “hundreds of years of civil law” are any more jeopardized by implementing my suggestion that they are by the legal wrangling of those in favor of gay marriage (civil union).

#

“I doubt this contract of yours will somehow allow married people to file jointly or take out certain returns, or gain hospital visitation rights or not be obligated to testify against one another, among other things.”

-Not seein’ why marital status ought to be a factor in taxation. Joe (single or married) ought to be taxed under the current system based on 'his' income alone. According a special status to Joe cuz he has a wife is a kind of advocacy where there should be silence.

-Couldn’t the regulations within a hospital (visitations, etc.) be edited to reflect new legal definitions?

If no: why not?

-If Joan saw her husband butcher a guy in the park, shouldn’t she be compelled to take the stand as witness? Not understanding why she should be exempt.

#

“There are actually a bunch of rights conferred by marriage that can't (and shouldn't) be replicable with contracts. Things like immigration, visitation, joint tax filing and dependency, marital privilege, stuff like that.”

I think those ‘rights’ can be replicated…again: Law and regulation is not static. It moves forward in fits and starts, reflecting the people it serves.

Last edited by Henry Quirk; 10-09-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-09-2014, 04:00 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

That's cool that you think that things like immigration status and evidentiary privileges can replicated in a contract between two individuals. Shazam, sarge! Garsh and gollee!
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-10-2014), erimir (10-09-2014), Nullifidian (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 04:22 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
I think those ‘rights’ can be replicated…again: Law and regulation is not static. It moves forward in fits and starts, reflecting the people it serves.
Well sure, if somehow all the laws defining or referring to the rights and responsibilities of being a married couple are changed, then the regulations based on those laws could be changed. What are the chances of that happening though, and to what end? I would love for the government to only offer civil unions to everyone, and leave marriage to the churches, but that's not likely to happen either, so I support the most equality that can pragmatically be offered within the current framework.

For gay marriage, really nothing needs to be changed. Everything is in place for two consenting adult people to legally become a recognized couple. Really no laws regarding marital rights and responsibilities are dependent on genitals. Some forms might say "Husband" and "Wife" rather than a more neutral "spouse" or something, but really that's just printing a new form.

Prior to the addition of the amendment defining marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman, my state's marriage regulations (age of consent, etc.) just talked about persons and spouses.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-09-2014), beyelzu (10-09-2014), BrotherMan (10-10-2014), chunksmediocrites (10-09-2014), Janet (10-09-2014), Nullifidian (10-09-2014), Stephen Maturin (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Quirk View Post
From my first post (#419) in this thread…

government's role (within the context of my presented notion) is simply as arbiter of contract dispute (not as licenser or sanctioner or promoter
So then, government wouldn't actually be "out of the mix," as also stated in #419, or "out of the marriage business," as stated in #422.

Quote:
If folks could bind themselves legally to one another by way of contract (as they currently do in many areas)
See, this is why these getting-the-government-out-of-the-marriage-biz discussions tend to be so goddamn annoying. They go off the rails as soon as they leave the station. What, exactly, do you think a marriage is?

Quote:
then the gov would have no place as licenser;
You're positing mutual exclusivity where none exists.

Quote:
the gov would have no say in who can bind themselves to another; the gov couldn't incentive a behavior.
In a lolbertarian utopia where government lacks the authority to regulate private contracts, perhaps, but not in this here world.

Quote:
If marriage were (dare I say it) 'privatized': then gov would only be involved in the regrettable ending (and only if there is a dispute that needs settling [some marriages end amicably]).
Setting aside the wholly dispositive workability issues, is there any point to this exercise beyond "gov bad"?

Quote:
As for the whole “Lolbertarianism” thing: I’m not a libertarian (as my post over in ‘Basis of land ownership’ illustrates), so you can poke someone else with that stick.
You most certainly are a libertarian with respect to marriage, and I'll poke you with the lolbert stick whenever, in my considered judgment, you've earned it.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-09-2014), JoeP (10-10-2014), Nullifidian (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 05:48 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Henry,

If you aren't a libertarian then why do you want the government out of gay marriage.

You can be a true believer randbot, libertarian or a bigot who wishes gays to not have the same rights, but I'm having difficulty imagining a third option.
Nullifidian (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm not a Libertarian but I want the government to stop encouraging or discouraging marriage via the tax code. To me it is patently unfair to give advantage in that way in these modern times.
beyelzu (10-09-2014), Janet (10-09-2014), lisarea (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014), Watser? (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 05:59 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

So rather than a marriage license- a type of contract that confers rights, benefits and responsibilities, one could simply construct up to 44 distinct and separate contracts covering the 33 possible rights and benefits, and 11 responsibilities usually covered. And find a way to get all parties, including government agencies, care facilities, etc. to sign off and agree to said contracts.

That would somehow be an improvement over just making the right to marry a right that isn't dependent on the sexual orientations or sexes of those seeking marriage.

Something something less government interference between a couple and the drafting and confirmation process of up to 44 contracts and quite likely some attorneys and associated fees.

:eagletear:
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (10-09-2014), LadyShea (10-09-2014), Nullifidian (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 PM
A fellow sophisticate

WTF, :ff: ?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I'm not a Libertarian but I want the government to stop encouraging or discouraging marriage via the tax code. To me it is patently unfair to give advantage in that way in these modern times.
This is probably more suited to being in a separate thread, and really is unrelated to Henry Quirk's line of thought or to this thread topic.
beyelzu (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Okay, I guess I can understand this, but I've never seen you oppose gay marriage because if that reasoning.
Janet (10-09-2014), Pan Narrans (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014), Watser? (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 PM
null and void

"That's cool that you think that things like immigration status and evidentiary privileges can replicated in a contract between two individuals."

That's not what I said.

Again: law and regulation are not static. They move forward in fits and starts, reflecting the people served.

If the notion of idiosyncratic marriage contracts caught on, and the gov withdrew from the roles of promoter and sanctioner, attendant laws would change...not overnight, not evenly, and not without resistance, but they would change just as they do any time the culture changes.

Last edited by Henry Quirk; 10-09-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added a word
Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 PM
null and void

"so I support the most equality that can pragmatically be offered within the current framework"

I'm all for practical, piecemeal, solutions if there's no other option.

I'm suggesting another option (not suggesting abandoning current efforts).
Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 PM
null and void

"So then, government wouldn't actually be "out of the mix," as also stated in #419, or "out of the marriage business," as stated in #422."

Context is everything.

You chose to dis-embed a line here and there, wholly ignoring context.

As you like.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
I kind of agree with this, but I eventually came around to deciding it was OK based on a societal interest in creating cohesive legal entities that can act in the interests of the family unit, rather than solely on individual interests.

In exchange for the marriage benefits, the family unit can lessen the burden on the job market by providing some security for the non- or lesser earning spouse and some incentive to the higher-earning one*; and in the event of a divorce, the higher earning spouse takes on much or all of the responsibility for support that otherwise would be provided by the state.

So I know what you're saying. I used to totally agree with you, but have since decided I do think it's probably beneficial to society to encourage marriage. Ideally, though, I'd like to see the option of platonic unions as well, which would allow any two adults--friends, siblings or other family--to set up a similar arrangement.

* I knew a corporate attorney whose husband was also a lawyer, and they would take turns doing high paying vs. do-gooder work. At the time she was telling me about their arrangement, she was getting so frustrated and sick of the terrible company we worked for that they were in the process of switching spots so she could go work for a non-profit and he'd have to work for an evil corporation for a few years.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-10-2014), Clutch Munny (10-10-2014), Crumb (10-09-2014), Dingfod (10-09-2014), Ensign Steve (10-09-2014), Janet (10-09-2014), LadyShea (10-09-2014), Pan Narrans (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 PM
null and void

"If you aren't a libertarian then why do you want the government out of gay marriage."

I was clear: I'd like it out of all marriage (except where there is dispute and arbitration is needed).
Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Ideally, though, I'd like to see the option of platonic unions as well, which would allow any two adults--friends, siblings or other family--to set up a similar arrangement.
I posited that very thing somewhere's or another...or I agreed with you and have since decided it was my own idear. I have seen two widows sharing a house and expenses, multiple examples of an adult child living with a parent, etc. etc. I can see all kinds of relationships that could be considered a single unit/family for legal and financial purposes.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-09-2014), Crumb (10-09-2014), Dingfod (10-09-2014), Janet (10-09-2014), lisarea (10-09-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:26 PM
null and void

"one could simply construct up to 44 distinct and separate contracts covering the 33 possible rights and benefits, and 11 responsibilities usually covered. And find a way to get all parties, including government agencies, care facilities, etc. to sign off and agree to said contracts"

If I enter into a contract, a cluster of attendant laws and regulations come into play...one contract with supporting laws.

Why would the idiosyncratic marriage contract have to be any different?

The current system is the result of a slow, unsteady, and often resisted, editing, adoption, and crafting of laws and regulations...it didn't spring up overnight.

What I suggest would also take time but has the advantage of comprehensively keeping the righteous out of people's business when it comes to who they want to live with and bind themselves to.

Last edited by Henry Quirk; 10-09-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added a comma
Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
"That's cool that you think that things like immigration status and evidentiary privileges can replicated in a contract between two individuals."

That's not what I said.
Nobody said you were a bigot. Just FYI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunksmediocrites View Post
Something something less government interference between a couple and the drafting and confirmation process of up to 44 contracts and quite likely some attorneys and associated fees.
I withdraw my objection.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-09-2014), Clutch Munny (10-10-2014), Ensign Steve (10-10-2014), Janet (10-10-2014), Sock Puppet (10-10-2014), Stephen Maturin (10-10-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Do you also oppose incorporation?

I mean, I assume all the rights and responsibilities granted to businesses via incorporation can be replicated through private contracts between individuals, and as for those which can't, you know, just... fits and starts and stuff.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-10-2014), The Man (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Quote:
Okay, I guess I can understand this, but I've never seen you oppose gay marriage because if that reasoning.
I have never been opposed to gay marriage, just marriage in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Quote:
I kind of agree with this, but I eventually came around to deciding it was OK based on a societal interest in creating cohesive legal entities that can act in the interests of the family unit, rather than solely on individual interests.

In exchange for the marriage benefits, the family unit can lessen the burden on the job market by providing some security for the non- or lesser earning spouse and some incentive to the higher-earning one*; and in the event of a divorce, the higher earning spouse takes on much or all of the responsibility for support that otherwise would be provided by the state.

So I know what you're saying. I used to totally agree with you, but have since decided I do think it's probably beneficial to society to encourage marriage. Ideally, though, I'd like to see the option of platonic unions as well, which would allow any two adults--friends, siblings or other family--to set up a similar arrangement.

* I knew a corporate attorney whose husband was also a lawyer, and they would take turns doing high paying vs. do-gooder work. At the time she was telling me about their arrangement, she was getting so frustrated and sick of the terrible company we worked for that they were in the process of switching spots so she could go work for a non-profit and he'd have to work for an evil corporation for a few years.
There are two ways wherein the taxation regarding marriage are unfair, and I've been the beneficiary and also on the detrimental end of the tax policy. At most income levels, married people pay less taxes than two individuals that make the same amount of money. But, if both are high income earners, such as my wife and I used to be, our combined income pushed us into higher tax brackets and we paid more than we would have if single. Now that she is working for not much more than minimum wage, we actually pay a little less in total that we would in total as two single people. I just see it as unfair to single people in generally, and unfair to married couples if they both make good money.
Janet (10-10-2014), lisarea (10-09-2014), The Man (10-10-2014), Watser? (10-10-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 PM
A fellow sophisticate

And I don't much like the tax deduction for home mortgage interest either, or tax deductions in general, including exemptions for dependents. :shakecane:
chunksmediocrites (10-10-2014), Janet (10-10-2014), lisarea (10-09-2014), The Man (10-10-2014), Watser? (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
"So then, government wouldn't actually be "out of the mix," as also stated in #419, or "out of the marriage business," as stated in #422."

Context is everything.
No. It is not the case that "context is everything." That statement is incorrect as a simple matter of fact.

Quote:
You chose to dis-embed a line here and there, wholly ignoring context.

As you like.
Your word use was exceptionally sloppy and imprecise, even by your standards. You shouldn't say you want the government "out of the mix" when in fact you don't want the government out of the mix. All I did was point that out. Precision is your friend, or could be if you gave it half a chance.

But you chose butthurt.

As you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Quirk
If I enter into a contract, a cluster of attendant laws and regulations come into play...one contract with supporting laws.

Why would the idiosyncratic marriage contract have to be any different?
It's not, which is kinda the point. Again, what do you think a marriage is in the civil law context?

Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-10-2014), Clutch Munny (10-10-2014), Janet (10-10-2014), Nullifidian (10-14-2014), Sock Puppet (10-10-2014), The Man (10-10-2014), Watser? (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 12:48 AM

Ding, I know you aren't against gay marriage, I ended up phrasing that sentence shittily

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law