Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Default If clergy were honest, would religions die?

If clergy were honest, would religions die?

I do not think so. Based on the fact, some clergy are maintaining religions based on telling the truth and have stopped lying to their adherents. Knowing this, I wonder why the clergy of all supernaturally based religions continue to lie to their adherents.

In the more honest distant past, those who sought God; did so at a more intellectual level than most do today. The ancients admitted that nothing concrete could be known about God. God was said to be unknowable, unfathomable and worked in mysterious ways and that no attributes could be applied to God.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Today, the idol worshiping religions, like Christianity and Islam, have given what they still claim is an unknowable, unfathomable and mysterious God, with kinds of attributes; which of course are human attributes taken to the maximum of the impossible and delusional supernatural.

Some religions seem to be returning to the more intelligent thinking of the ancients.

Would the idol worshiping religions like Christianity and Islam, be well served if their clergy returned to telling the truth of what they can know of God, or are the clergy serving their religions better by continuing to lie to their adherents?

Regards
DL

P.S.
What is said here about politicians and business is a good analogy to what I think religions do.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:52 AM
Rosetta Stoned

Default Re: If clergy were honest, would religions die?

I don't think so, but I would imagine it would be smaller and less influential. I think the real bit that hooks people in is where religions got to equivocate themselves with morality and being a good person. That's religions' "special trick" I think. Remove that, and we might have some believers still, but I think a lot of the harm (and perhaps the good too) religions cause would be gone.

I admit however, I pulled this completely out of my ass. It didn't even hurt.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Default Re: If clergy were honest, would religions die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BracesForImpact View Post
I don't think so, but I would imagine it would be smaller and less influential. I think the real bit that hooks people in is where religions got to equivocate themselves with morality and being a good person. That's religions' "special trick" I think. Remove that, and we might have some believers still, but I think a lot of the harm (and perhaps the good too) religions cause would be gone.

I admit however, I pulled this completely out of my ass. It didn't even hurt.
Good thinking flows well through ones digestive system.

I agree with all except your view that religions would die.

I do so because of man's pushy tribal nature that must be assuaged as well as the, few to date, churches that have begun to tell the truth and are still alive.

Here is a sample.

Regards
DL

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy