Go Back   Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration

Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Admin

Default Re: Rant: Being Edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencesitter
It seems like it would be a pretty difficult rule to enforce.
It hasn't been hard to enforce so far. To date the instances of someone using someone else's real name here (where we weren't sure whether the person had divulged it themselves) have been few and far between. For most names it's fairly easy to do a search to see if it was ever posted before, but when we're really unsure we've been known to send a PM and ask. The important thing to us is that people here feel as though their private, personally identifying information can remain that way if they so choose. In fact even if someone has posted their name here, we would go back and remove it (and anyone else's use of it) at the request of the member.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Even mine? Oops.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Quote:
It seems like it would be a pretty difficult rule to enforce.
It hasn't been hard to enforce so far. To date the instances of someone using someone else's real name here (where we weren't sure whether the person had divulged it themselves) have been few and far between. For most names it's fairly easy to do a search to see if it was ever posted before, but when we're really unsure we've been known to send a PM and ask. The important thing to us is that people here feel as though their private, personally identifying information can remain that way if they so choose. In fact even if someone has posted their name here, we would go back and remove it (and anyone else's use of it) at the request of the member.
OK, makes sense. Thanks.

Fence
Old 08-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Even mine?
Oh, no. Sorry. Except Warren.

Quote:
Ok, makes sense. Thanks.
Sure thing. :)
Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Seems it should be pretty easy to just err on the side of caution and not use anyone's real name unless they're actually using it themselves at the time. That's what I try to do. (That's not to say I may not have fucked up at some point, but that's what I try to do, anyway.)

Except for Warren. I've made it my mission to name and shame that guy at every opportunity.

WARREN WARREN WARREN!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Er. . . I don't know what this whole thing with Sweetie and Scarlatti is about and I don't want to know or get involved.
There's a lot of that going around lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie
I have some friends who call me, after all this time, by my Username at CF. It's a bit annoying.
Is it really you, sweetkitty?! :omg:
Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Sweetie you have one hell of a gutter helmet on there, i would not worry in the least, its an authority thing? :popcorn: wanna bite?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
Seems it should be pretty easy to just err on the side of caution and not use anyone's real name unless they're actually using it themselves at the time. That's what I try to do. (That's not to say I may not have fucked up at some point, but that's what I try to do, anyway.)

Except for Warren. I've made it my mission to name and shame that guy at every opportunity.

WARREN WARREN WARREN!
Thanks. No, I mean it, thanks. It's almost like I'm famous.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 AM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
:yeahthat:

When I've given out my first name, I have always added the qualifier that I prefer it not be used online. I appreciate that livius and vm would help me and my friends by removing it, should someone let it slip.

Quote:
Some of these people have known each other for years, you can only call someone "Sweetie" for so long until they become a real person to you instead of just an online figure, and until they become a real friend. I have some friends who call me, after all this time, by my Username at CF. It's a bit annoying.
I'm sorry you feel that way, Sweetie, but please note that not everyone feels the same as you do. I have known many of the people on these boards for several years, met dozens of them in person. Many of these people know my full name, my address, phone number, etc.. I assure you I am real to them, even if they call me pescifish, pesci or Fish.

I consider those who honor my request to avoid using my first name online to be true friends, ones who understand and are willing to consider my own personal wishes for that level of privacy on a broad venue such as an online bulletin board.

If you need someone to call out your given name to show their friendship to you, then let them know that: perhaps you could sign each of your posts with your real name to remind them.

To each his/her own. Please respect the wishes of others and do not diminish them by assuming continued use of an online nickname means that the relationship is one between "online figures" and not "real friends."
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Babby Police

Thumbdown Re: Rant: Being Edited

Quote:
Right. So I'm delusional, in a fantasy, making things up and creating problems in my mind where there are none ...
You got it, and as a matter of fact, I couldn't have said it better myself. To be sure, the above is by far the most lucid and realistic remark you've managed in this otherwise pathetic trainwreck of a thread.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
Also, I think the fact that some of us go to CF, IIDB, FF and then others to HH, I think the fact that if there are the same people posting private information public throughout, I think you like should consider that and not penalize someone for someone else making what you consider private things public.
In what way were you "penalized"? One word in one of your posts was replaced with "<edit>". What's the big deal?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:48 PM
California Sober

Well, since we're all coming out of the closet, I also prefer "Ensign" or "Steve" to my real name. But since I have never put that out there before now, I don't blame my friends for not being mind readers. However, if you are taking notes, feel free to file that nugget away.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve
Well, since we're all coming out of the closet, I also prefer "Ensign" or "Steve" to my real name. But since I have never put that out there before now, I don't blame my friends for not being mind readers. However, if you are taking notes, feel free to file that nugget away.
You got it, Jess.

I was going to start another thread for this, but it's pretty trivial so I may as well post it here. I have made no secret of my real name so go ahead and call me Nathan or Nate if you want. I'll ignore you, but not out of privacy concerns. I just don't like that name.

"Dave" is part of my handle and thus was never private.

You can even call me Mr. Teegarden, so long as we are all clear that any obnoxious or radical statements by me are in no way connected with any chemistry textbook authors or Silver Bullet Band drummers who may share my last name.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
California Sober

Man I am so lost right now. Jess? Nate? Silver Bullet? I have no idea who these people are. I'm not even high, but it is real early in the morning so I guess that's equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Dave
In what way were you "penalized"? One word in one of your posts was replaced with "". What's the big deal?
I'm so glad you asked that. I meant to, but I forgot about it when that thought got lost among the idiocy that is this thread.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

:laugh: Yer funny, Mr. Teegarden.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
Man I am so lost right now. Jess? Nate? Silver Bullet? I have no idea who these people are. I'm not even high, but it is real early in the morning so I guess that's equivalent.
You'd understand if you were stoned on the love of Jesus.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 PM
California Sober

I am filled with Christ's love! Jerk!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
I am filled with Christ's love!
Does your husband know?! Better get the morning after pill, that douching with vodka thing doesn't work.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:23 PM
California Sober

Coca-cola, dude. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Admin

Quote:
:carson: I did not know that.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Bad Wolf

Mucho esteem to anyone who gets the rather obscure "Stoned on the Love of Jesus" reference.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Do you mean that you'd prefer not to be called "Sweetie"? Now I'm confused.
I prefer people who I have a friendship with to call me Rebecca, Beck, Becs, Becca or Becky instead of Theresa. As far as people I do not know better, they are free to call me whatever they like, including my first name because I'm not an anal son of a bitch, I don't really see what difference it makes considering we are not on the school playground.

Call me bitch, call me Beck, have a ball.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of that going around lately.
Though everybody of course, has their own comment to add though they seemingly don't want to "get involved." Rather contradictory I think.

Quote:
Is it really you, sweetkitty?! :omg:
Insults are more effective when the people you are supposed to be insulting are familiar with the things you are referencing or am I less "kewl" because I don't automatically know?

Sweetkitty? The closest association that name notes is "CF and against homosexuality." An ex-homosexual maybe? Who knows. All I do know is that you make references to yourself as a homosexual, and you aren't very attractive to me, so the homosexuality thing or the sexuality thing where you are concerned is really not good on the mind.

Anyways, do y'all think if a bunch of heros get together and agree with each other in their own corner of the world, do you think that as a group it makes you look.......well, like there's more merit to most of what you guys have proferred than there is? You're kewler because you guys toe each other's party line, stroke each other's egos, pat each other on the back?

Last edited by Sweetie; 08-11-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Admin

Sweetie, why are you here?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Once not too long ago, the Little Muffin made me get a package of...DAMMIT WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS? They're little dried dinosaur looking guys, not sea monkeys, look like trilobites, kind of. Those things. So we reconstituted them, and they lived in a fishbowl in the living room. They got big enough that they needed names, partly because we had a hard time telling them apart, and partly because I'm not very good at remembering a lot of different names, anyway. Plus, it's not like they lived all that long, and they'd cannibalize each other and stuff, so we didn't want to get attached, you know?

So we named them all "Steve."

"My, look how Steve is growing."

"Oh, my god! Steve ate Steve! EWWWW!"

I'll never get those things again, I tell you.

But to the point, because yes, there is one: I think from now on, I'm just going to call all of you guys "Steve."

You will be able to tell who is actually named Steve because when I address those people, there will be little edited parts in my posts. Sorry about that!

And I would also like to apologize in advance to Ensign Steve for the inevitable confusion.

Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration