Go Back   Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration

Old 11-13-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Usefullness of the ignore feature if....

someone comes along right behind and quotes what the person being ignored has to say?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Usefullness of the ignore feature if....

Subtract an "l" from "usefullness".
Old 11-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Right now the ignore user option does not hide replies which include a quote from an ignored person, but it's something we've talked about before and we'll definitely hack that functionality into the software when we figure out how.

Meanwhile, individual posts can be ignored by clicking on the "ignore this post" button (). Any replies to ignored posts are hidden automatically.

Subdiscussions can also easily be ignored in threaded mode.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
Right now the ignore user option does not hide replies which include a quote from an ignored person, but it's something we've talked about before and we'll definitely hack that functionality into the software when we figure out how.

Meanwhile, individual posts can be ignored by clicking on the "ignore this post" button (). Any replies to ignored posts are hidden automatically.

Subdiscussions can also easily be ignored in threaded mode.
Oh, I see. I have to ignore her and then I have to ignore anybody else's thoughts in response to any of hers in order to successfully ignore her. I can't just ignore her and still read other peoples thoughts, I have to ignore her thoughts, all responses to her thoughts, all those who encourage her in this by being nice-nice with her regardless of her behavior, and all other threads related to those thoughts. At such a slow forum, no less.

Sounds peachy.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:00 PM
mesospheric bore

It's not ideal, sure, perhaps you can make some suggestions as to how you'd prefer it to work when someone has a chance to hack it? I can think of several options:

1) an option to ignore all posts containing a particular username
2) an option to ignore all posts containing quoted material that came from another user
3) an option to remove from posts quoted portions that came from another user, but leaving you able to read the rest of the post

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:06 PM

Number three would be ideal because as it stands, this little "just put her on ignore and everything will be good for you and you won't have to listen to abusive comments and you won't have to feel harassed" is just bullshit.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment
3) an option to remove from posts quoted portions that came from another user, but leaving you able to read the rest of the post
I like this. You know more about the coding side than I, fragment, but it seems to me vB has to realize who has been replied to, because otherwise threaded mode wouldn't work at all. Then again, given multiquote that probably won't be very helpful, which leaves us with a way to hide the text after a specific variable of the quote vB code if that variable = username on ignore.

Does that make sense at all? :chin:
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
I like this. You know more about the coding side than I, fragment, but it seems to me vB has to realize who has been replied to, because otherwise threaded mode wouldn't work at all. Then again, given multiquote that probably won't be very helpful, which leaves us with a way to hide the text after a specific variable of the quote vB code if that variable = username on ignore.

Does that make sense at all? :chin:
I think you know more about how the software works than I, but some variations on what we're talking about should be achievable. It won't ever be possible to handle every single situation - someone could always type [ quote=s0meus3r ]some text[ /quote ] into a post and the software won't block it for people who are blocking "someuser"... but I think there should be some scope to give the ignore features a bit more power. I don't know when anyone will have the chance to do this kind of hack, but in the meantime Sweetie and others could make suggestions for how they'd like ignore features to be improved.

Hell, why not add an "ignore all threads in which certain people have posted" hack as well?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Hell, why not add an "ignore all threads in which certain people have posted" hack as well?
Are you serious?

Why not just ask all those of us who have someone on ignore to just leave? Wouldn't that be simpler because if you noticed, there's not a whole lot of threads going at any given time and if I had not only to ignore her posts, but responses to her posts and all threads she posted in.....I mean............that's a solution?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
mesospheric bore

I'm not saying it's necessarily a solution for anything, I'm just suggesting it as a feature that possibly people might feel a use for. I agree to use it would severely impact someone's experience of :ff:, but who knows? Maybe someone would like it? It's about flexibility, you know. Providing tools you can use to customise your :ff: experience. Anticipating potential future needs. Not so long ago someone asked whether it was possible to put a whole forum on ignore, and why shouldn't it be?

I'm just brainstorming here, Sweetie, not everything I'm suggesting is directly related to your complaints.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's necessarily a solution for anything, I'm just suggesting it as a feature that possibly people might feel a use for. I agree to use it would severely impact someone's experience of :ff:, but who knows? Maybe someone would like it? It's about flexibility, you know. Providing tools you can use to customise your :ff: experience. Anticipating potential future needs. Not so long ago someone asked whether it was possible to put a whole forum on ignore, and why shouldn't it be?

I'm just brainstorming here, Sweetie, not everything I'm suggesting is directly related to your complaints.
Alright, I'm just saying the person in question is anal enough to make use of such a thing and to make certain to post in every thread so as to not have the participation of those she doesn't like and feels like she should harass and abuse.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Not so long ago someone asked whether it was possible to put a whole forum on ignore, and why shouldn't it be?
There's definitely a hack for that, and to hide all threads started by an ignored user. They're both on the upgrade list. :)

I've also thought of ignore this user in this forum and in this thread options, for people who have a tendency to get ugly on certain topics only.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:
There's definitely a hack for that, and to hide all threads started by an ignored user. They're both on the upgrade list. :)
I would argue that that wouldn't necessarily be a good tool though I'm sure some would like it. In such a slow forum, there could very well be interesting threads started by need to be ignored users (ie: abusive and harassing users), and thought systems that one could debate other people within the thread about.

Quote:
I've also thought of ignore this user in this forum and in this thread options, for people who have a tendency to get ugly on certain topics only.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:58 PM

What about a thing that forces an abusive user not to have access to certain person's posts?

You could make all my posts invisible to Adora.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:02 PM

Granted, that doesn't ultimately make much difference because if you accidentally, like I have, gone about reading threads without realizing that one wasn't logged in.......well, it's meaningless.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie
Oh, I see. I have to ignore her and then I have to ignore anybody else's thoughts in response to any of hers in order to successfully ignore her. I can't just ignore her and still read other peoples thoughts, I have to ignore her thoughts, all responses to her thoughts, all those who encourage her in this by being nice-nice with her regardless of her behavior, and all other threads related to those thoughts. At such a slow forum, no less.

Sounds peachy.
I thought this was what you were talking about in the original post, so I fail to see the problem. If there is one person you want to ignore, so be it...and you don't want to ignore everyone who responds to this member, so...well that's what happens. You ignore one person, it's only them who's on ignore, not everyone else who replies to her.

However, there's no point clicking the big red ignore button unless you're prepared to ignore said person in your own mind and heart, too, rather than constantly posting about her. Just...let it go, dude.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:09 PM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
What about a thing that forces an abusive user not to have access to certain person's posts?

You could make all my posts invisible to Adora.
She'd be able to log out and view your posts in the same way any non-member can. I suppose you could block IP addresses, but that (1) could be gotten around by viewing FF at some other location, (2) would probably block other people too, given that nearly everyone will be on dynamic IPs allocated by their ISP. Only way around it would be to make FF, certain parts of it, or certain users' posts accessible to members only... however I believe FF was set up to be a public forum, not a private one, and personally I prefer it that way.

edit - I see you realised this while I was writing.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I would argue that that wouldn't necessarily be a good tool though I'm sure some would like it.
Hide thread by ignored users was recently requested by Fencesitter and ignore this forum by maddog. Ensign Steve has also requested the latter in the past, so in all likelihood the features would see some use.

Quote:
There are some hidden posts hacks, but they usually involve moderators or at least usergroups, and I think they're forum specific. Still, reverse ignore is an interesting idea.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches

I thought this was what you were talking about in the original post, so I fail to see the problem. If there is one person you want to ignore, so be it...and you don't want to ignore everyone who responds to this member, so...well that's what happens.
You don't see the problem?

In this thread for instance, unless I have ignored both Carnivale Ed and Crumb, I have not successfully managed to have ignored Adora.

http://www.freethought-forum.com/for...783#post133783

I want to hear however, what Crumb has to say all the time. If he responds to her and yet he tells a bit about himself outside of his response to her, I still want to read it. If she makes a claim in the form of argument and he's got a good response and argument, I want to know the argument. I don't think that's a strange thing.

Quote:
You ignore one person, it's only them who's on ignore, not everyone else who replies to her.
Which, I'm suggesting, is a problem with the whole "just ignore her" crap I'm being fed.

Quote:
However, there's no point clicking the big red ignore button unless you're prepared to ignore said person in your own mind and heart, too, rather than constantly posting about her. Just...let it go, dude.
It's really not me that's not letting it go. The ignore feature exists because it's needed, the administration in my eyes recognizes that it's needed, and to them it's a solution. It is no solution.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Hide thread by ignored users was recently requested by Fencesitter
I thought she just wanted to be able to ignore the thread starter? I don't know, actually can you clarify what she wanted, I'm curious.

Quote:
and ignore this forum by maddog.
I don't see the point with that myself, no offense maddog.

Quote:
Ensign Steve has also requested the latter in the past, so in all likelihood the features would see some use.

Quote:

There are some hidden posts hacks, but they usually involve moderators or at least usergroups, and I think they're forum specific. Still, reverse ignore is an interesting idea.
It's a waste of time, it would have to be forced on the person and they could get around that just by reading not logged in.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:23 PM

What's the point of the ignore feature in the first place? If there wasn't an ignore feature possible, would the administration need to utilize another form of guidelines? In that sense, does the administration recognize a need for it, a need, not just a pleasure or a preference?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I thought she just wanted to be able to ignore the thread starter? I don't know, actually can you clarify what she wanted, I'm curious.
From here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence
If you want to ignore all threads started by certain posters, is it possible to do this?
I understood that to mean she wanted to not see any threads started by an OP she chose to ignore.

Quote:
I don't see the point with that myself, no offense maddog.
I can definitely think of forums I'd block out if I could. If you're not interested in the topic, it's just taking up room on the index and cluttering up the new threads list. :shrug:

Quote:
It's a waste of time, it would have to be forced on the person and they could get around that just by reading not logged in.
Fair enough.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I can definitely think of forums I'd block out if I could. If you're not interested in the topic, it's just taking up room on the index and cluttering up the new threads list. :shrug:
I have no idea where the new threads list is, I never use it. I just come here and go to forums and check out in each individual forum what's new and what's been updated.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:31 PM

And as far as that goes, I don't really have a problem with ideas in general, just you know, I have issues with chronic personal attacks. I suppose some people's problems with certain forums, threads and boredom with such is the equivalent of a problem with chronic personal attacks. Oddly enough, you can probably satisfy and help those who have problems with the former, and not with the latter.

I suppose this is a good discussion about the issue of free-will inherently.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:33 PM

Threads and subsections don't chase one, I have noticed.

Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration