Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Banned for Spam

Default WARNING to parents and children reading this board

WARNING TO PARENTS AND CHILDREN READING THIS BOARD

Some independent skeptics organizations/forums promotes others Skeptic Organizations links on their site. I hope this one can make the difference.

Some of those Skeptic Organizations are named on this site:
http://www.heart7.net/fms-false-construct.html

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another FMSF Advisory Board member, James Randi, was involved in a scandal in which (according to court records): "The scientist's lawyers sought to discredit Mr. Randi by playing taped conversations of teen-age boys who called the magician's home allegedly for sex."
[ Byrd v Randi (Civil Action No. MJG-89-636 in the United States District for the Court for the District of Maryland.] Transcripts of the tape are also part of the court record in Geller v Randi, (Civil Action No 91-1014-SSH in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. The transcripts are contained in Exhibit 40 to Exhibit U].
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Prometheus Books , publishers of Children's Sexual Encounters with Adults, is run by Paul Kurtz , Professor emeritus of Philosophy, State University of New York at Buffalo. He is chairman of CSICOP (Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal) which runs the Skeptical Inquirer . Prometheus publishes an extensive Human Sexuality Books section under the editorship of Vern Bullough (AAA10/March 1996), Dean of Natural and Social Science at State University, New York, who is a CSICOP Board member.
Vern Bullough is also listed as a board member of Paidika, the Dutch paedophile magazine in which Dr Ralph Underwager , co-founder of the FMSF in the US said he thought having sex with children could be seen as part of God's will; that paedophiles should make their loving image clearer to the outside world; and that the USA was virulently anti-sexuality at present. His wife, Hollida Wakefield, who also took part in the interview said she thought it would be "nice" if someone could do a longitudinal study of 100 twelve year old boys in loving relationships with paedophiles. More recently on the Internet, Dr Underwager posted further thoughts in which he emphasised his belief that the "criminalization of sex" was destroying the social compact.
Prometheus also publishes the books of James Randi, an ex-CSICOP Member and present FMSF Advisory Board member.
Other FMSF Board Members, Martin Gardner, Ray Hyman, Elizabeth Loftus, Loren Pancratz, Thomas Sebeok are also CSICOP board members.[ Accuracy About Abuse Newsletter April 1996]

You had the right to know what “extra” publications and “thoughts” some co- founders members promoted or did.

Coincidences ?

P.S: Sorry for my english or if your idol is in the report.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: WARNING to parents and children reading this board

:scratch:
Old 03-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Coffin Creep

:spam:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=4097

:spamhammer:
Old 03-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

It's a cut and paste, definitely, but I think there's a little more going on here than spamming. latinijral has a long history of conflict with the JREF organizaton and James Randi in particular, a conflict which has led to 30 page threads on at least two forums that I know of.

I am disappointed that your first post here is a copy and paste rehashing your beef against JREF and CSICOP. I would have preferred that you participate in this community in a more genuine fashion, but nonetheless, welcome to FF, latin.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

damn, grady, your comp crashed, that sucked,

still, I am glad that your friend got it up and running.

(Did I do that right?)
Old 03-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

:giggles:
Old 03-27-2005, 09:39 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Riley G., if that's who you really are, this is bunk. A jury didn't bite in Byrd v. Randi, despite deciding in Byrd's favor, they awarded Byrd nothing, not even legal expenses. It was a suit brought by Byrd because Randi accused Byrd of being a convicted pediphile at one of Randi's shows. Turns out Byrd had admitted to having sex with a minor, but wasn't technically "convicted". There is no evidence of any sex tapes of Randi, none were presented in court.

Uri Geller lost his suit against Randi and CSICOP, ordered to pay $120,000 for filing what the court deemed to be a frivolous complaint. After two failed appeals to the verdict, Geller was ordered to pay $70K and the first $50K of any proceeds from Geller's suit against his own lawyers.

I don't know about the books Prometheus Press prints, but the full title of the book you cite is Children's Sexual Encounters with Adults: A Scientific Study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book News, Inc., 02/01/94
Assesses the social constructs of sexuality and examines the various motivations behind sexual encounters between adults and children, presenting the findings of two important research projects on pedophilia: that of C.K. Li, who conducted voluntary interviews with men who admitted to a sexual interest in young girls or boys; and that of D.J. West and T.P. Woodhouse (co-authors, with Li, of this volume), who questioned groups of adult males, both students and others, about their recollections of sexual encounters when they were boys (and compared the findings with those of a similar survey of women). Annotation copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Or.
Skeptic's Dictionary's take on this book and the accusations in what they call Mass Media Funk.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Love Bomb

Thumbup Re: WARNING to parents and children reading this board

nICE WORK, WARRENLY.

oops, caps lock :blush:

~ Ice T ~
Old 03-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Bad Wolf

Won't ANYBODY think of the CHILDREN!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
A fellow sophisticate

There's nothing wrong with watching out for children's interest, when it's well-founded. But when the accusations come mainly from guys like Uri Geller and admitted sexual predators, I don't give them a lot of slack. One of the worst things you can do to someone is to falsely accuse them of child sexual abuse, there's enough of that to go around in the contentious divorce arena.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:24 AM
Banned for Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenly
There's nothing wrong with watching out for children's interest, when it's well-founded. But when the accusations come mainly from guys like Uri Geller and admitted sexual predators, I don't give them a lot of slack. One of the worst things you can do to someone is to falsely accuse them of child sexual abuse, there's enough of that to go around in the contentious divorce arena.
Then you must define if YOU consider peadophilia like a child sexual abuse.

The editor of the Human Sexuality Books section of Prometheus Books (run by Paul Kurtz chairman of CSICOP ) is Vern Bullough.

Vern Bullough is also a board member of Paidika, the Dutch paedophile magazine.

The FMSF advisory board members are also founders of CSICOP and the JREF.

Dr Ralph Underwager , co-founder of the FMSF in the US said, in an interview of PAIDIKA, that having sex with children could be seen as part of God's will.
Here is the original interview.
http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/Nudi...derwager2.html

And you still think this is about URI GELLER?
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

P.D.

Thank you for your welcome Livius, and yes I am genuine with my warning.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

So what exactly is your point?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:53 AM
Ich bin Schnappi das kliene Krokodil

Man I'm glad this guy's here. There's way too many normal intelligent people around, just gets boring. :yup:

latinijral: let's assume for a moment that Randi is the world's worst kiddy-fiddler. Does that actually undermine his logic in any way or...? I mean this guy isn't supposed to be a role-model, he just undermines belief in silly things.

P.S. I also find it mildly amusing that you seem so adverse to sexual perversion of this nature and yet you have a picture of a man with a little sombrero on his winky as your avatar. :giggle:
But he can never fail
No-one but the pure at heart
May find the Golden Grail
-- Queen
Old 03-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Banned

The point is that latin is accusing James Randi, et al. of being a pedophiles although he'll never do so directly because he knows it's libelous. Same dance, same tune, same latin.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:45 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinijral
Some independent skeptics organizations/forums promotes others Skeptic Organizations links on their site. I hope this one can make the difference.
I think you might have misunderstood what the Freethought Forum is about, latinijral.

Although we have more than a few skeptics among us, we are not committed to supporting or promoting skepticism or skeptical organizations. So I'm not sure why you are taking the same approach--attacking skepticism and skeptics--that ultimately led to your being banned at SkepticalCommunity and the Skeptic Friends Network (just last week). Of course you are free to post whatever you want, but if you're trolling for a hostile reaction from skeptics I think you're wasting your time here. If there's something more substantial you want to discuss I'm afraid I don't understand what it is.

Last edited by viscousmemories; 03-29-2005 at 05:55 AM. Reason: to fix link
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

[With Apologies to Dave Chapelle...]

Forget about latin's warning! There are more important things to worry about!

Did you know that in our very midst, homosexuals are trying to get married?! Gays are trying to marry each other, people! It's horrible! Two females loving each other...rubbing against each other...the nipples getting all hard and...the...bouncy..and snug....ummmm....

It makes me sick!

Now, if you'll excuse me.....

:D
Old 03-30-2005, 01:43 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
What the ever-loving fuck is that supposed to mean? I have no love for pediphiles whatsoever. If I had ever caught one doing something to one of my daughter's I'd probably have killed them on the spot.

You've made allusions to Randi and others being pediphiles without so much as a scintilla of evidence, now I think you're trying to paint me with the same off-color brush. You're way off base.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:53 AM
Banned for Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenly
Quote:
What the ever-loving fuck is that supposed to mean? I have no love for pediphiles whatsoever. If I had ever caught one doing something to one of my daughter's I'd probably have killed them on the spot.

You've made allusions to Randi and others being pediphiles without so much as a scintilla of evidence, now I think you're trying to paint me with the same off-color brush. You're way off base.
First ……relax.

The James Randi sexual scandal was many years before URI GELLER “fame”.
J.R. is innocent according to the records.

Your efforts to twist the point, focusing your defence to Randi and other CSICOP members, in attacking URI GELLER like an admitted sexual predator , just showed to me that you are off base.

I understand how you skipped all the facts that are clearly showed in the link I posted at my OP.

The “scintilla of evidence”:

The editor of the Human Sexuality Books section of Prometheus Books (run by Paul Kurtz chairman of CSICOP ) is Vern Bullough.

Vern Bullough is also a board member of Paidika, the Dutch paedophile magazine and he is also a MEMBER OF CSICOP.

The FMSF advisory board members are also founders of CSICOP and the JREF.

Dr Ralph Underwager , co-founder of the FMSF in the US said, in an interview of PAIDIKA, that having sex with children could be seen as part of God's will.
Here is the original interview.
http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/Nud...nderwager2.html

Are they PRO paedophilia?
It is a simple YES or NO.

According to your point the answer is……..?
You can ignore me if you don’t want to give an answer.

QUOTE:
“One would think that those allied with a group of falsely accused
perpetrators would distance themselves from pedophilia.”
http://www.feminista.com/v1n9/false-memory.html
Old 03-30-2005, 04:08 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

What point are you trying to make latinijral?

What action do you expect us to take based on this informaion?

How does this evidence mean to you? If you have evidence that one of the gentleman you mentioned has committed a crime--especially if he was victimizing children--then you should take this evidence to the proper authorities and get them arrested and off the streets. Otherwise, you are just blowing hot air. In which case I again ask you: What is your point?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Ich bin Schnappi das kliene Krokodil

Clearly you are intending to discredit skeptics. Why? And have a go at answering the question rather than posting more links to shit we don't care about. :D
But he can never fail
No-one but the pure at heart
May find the Golden Grail
-- Queen
Old 03-30-2005, 07:03 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

shit,

in related news guys, my google of james randi sexual scandal showed that arthur c clarke who worked with randi was once accused of being a pedophile. obviously, all skeptics and scientists fuck children.

a few questions spring to my mind.

1. why didnt I see randi at last years nambla convention

2 will I ever be able to read 2001 again?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Warlord of Mars

What does anything you've posted have to do with the Freethought Forum? Even if any of the people you mentioned had anything to do with this board, your OP is a classic, almost textbook example of a real ad hominem argument.
-- Wooden Ships by David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Paul Kantner
Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
The James Randi sexual scandal was many years before URI GELLER “fame”.
J.R. is innocent according to the records.
Then why do you bring it up?

Quote:
Your efforts to twist the point, focusing your defence to Randi and other CSICOP members, in attacking URI GELLER like an admitted sexual predator , just showed to me that you are off base.
I twisted nothing. I never said anything about Uri Geller being an admitted sexual predator, I merely linked him to one. I did say that the Mr. Byrd that sued James Randi was an admitted sexual predator. However, since Uri Geller tried unsuccessfully to use supposed evidence from Mr. Byrd in his defamation lawsuit against Randi and CSICOP, I have to wonder about the associations he chooses to make. Besides, I think Geller is a complete sham, and so do Randi and CSICOP and a whole lot of other people. If you dispute that, then you reveal your true reasons for attacking the fellows that you attack, they're skeptics.

Quote:
I understand how you skipped all the facts that are clearly showed in the link I posted at my OP.
I didn't skip shit. You didn't provide any evidence.

Quote:
The “scintilla of evidence”:

So you say, but I don't know that and you didn't provide any proof of that.

Quote:
Vern Bullough is also a board member of Paidika, the Dutch paedophile magazine and he is also a MEMBER OF CSICOP.
Again, you repeat yourself, leaving me no choice but to repeat myself: So you say, but I don't know that and you didn't provide any proof of that. I don't know Paidika from Paduca. Educate me.

Quote:
Sounds like a religious nut rather than a good skeptic.

Quote:
Are they PRO paedophilia?
It is a simple YES or NO.
The answer is I DON'T KNOW AND YOU DIDN'T PROVIDE AMPLE EVIDENCE TO CONVINCE ME OF WHAT YOU CLAIM.

Quote:
According to your point the answer is……..?
You can ignore me if you don’t want to give an answer.
I can ignore you? Okay, I will. That's all folks.

I'll admit, I'm halfway afraid to click on any links provided by latinijral out of fear they link to child porn sites.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:57 PM
poster over sea and land

Quote:
I'll admit, I'm halfway afraid to click on any links provided by latinijral out of fear they link to child porn sites.
Question: If we did click on a link and unwittingly go to a child porn site, can we be prosecuted for it?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I suppose it would be possible, Beth, because any page you view, even just for a second, will cache its images on your hard drive. Theoretically then, if you were investigated for child pornography and your hard drive were scanned, those pictures could be found and you could be charged with possession.

It's a highly unlikely scenario, though.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy