Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Philolsophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
It's a pain to input on my phone, though.[/spoiler]
That iſ what ſhe hath ſaid.
My inner pedant feeleth compelled to butt in here. For what it is worth, it ſeemeth the ſtandard practiſe was not to use the long s at the ends of words. It also was not common practiſe to use two long ſ's in a row, ſo you would get Meſsage inſtead of Meſſage. This resulted in the creation of the ß ligature, which is ſtill in common uſage in German but hath been abandoned in Engliſh. (It can also be a ligature for ſz, which is why German ſpeakers refer to the character as an Eſzet. However, even in German it uſually appeareth to be uſed to replace ſs.)

A few other ligatures were common in Early Modern Engliſh typeſetting, ſuch as ſt, ſi, and ſl. There actually is a Unicode character for ſt (ſt), which I ſimply did not uſe in my poſt above becauſe many people's phones probably do not have it inſtalled, and it alſo is not even included in Verdana, the font uſed on this meſsage board, ſo it ſtandeth out from the reſt of the text on the meſsage board and maketh the ſpacing ugly, as well as looking ſlightly ſtupid as a reſult.

Pratchett and Gaiman were not actually completely conſiſtent with Early Modern Engliſh uſage in their placement of the ſ character, but in this caſe I think ſome of this may have been part of the joke, as the character reſponſible for the ſo-called "compoſitor's error" maketh ſeveral other ſpelling and grammar miſtakes, even bearing in mind the lax ſpelling ſtandards of Early Modern Engliſh (again, as alluded to above, Samuel Johnſon was reſponſible for much of Modern Engliſh orthography as the creator of the firſt major Engliſh dictionary, and then Noah Webſter truly codified it). On the other hand, Agnes Nutter, whoſe uſage is leſs queſtionable by Early Modern Engliſh ſtandards, also useth the ſ character at the ends of words.

In any caſe, the appropriate reſponſe ſhould actually be "That is what ſhe hath ſaid."

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 01-22-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.19510 seconds with 11 queries