Thread: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Return to Gender 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
That makes sense.

I think what's probably biting me is that I don't have the Common Sense filter. I can't reliably tell when people will think something is reasonable or obvious or whatever.
Does it matter what "people" think on this issue? Why is it biting you?

Look at it from a simple statistical POV. Take any activity or experience and go through a quick checklist of people you know to see if any would be othered.

Within a 2 mile radius there are 10 of us in the same family. That makes a nice round number to work with. Of the 10, 3 cannot say all the below would hold true for them. Of the three, two have mobility and accessibility issues, one has age related cognitive issues and so can't handle transactions or communication without assistance and can't drive, one cannot find her size just anywhere and two garner curious stares and/or whispered comments (ie: negative attention) for physical attributes. That's 30% of just my immediately located adult relatives. (I did not count the one who is a small child so can't do most of these things)

I can get the store easily and with no fuss in my own car that has gas in it. I can park anywhere in the lot and get out of the car and into the store comfortably without assistance and without obstacles thwarting my progress. I can walk right to the ladies clothing department without arousing curiosity, revulsion, surprise or suspicion in anyone I pass. I can find my size right on the rack. I can access the fitting room without trouble of any kind. I can communicate with the personnel and be understood. I can handle the monetary transaction required for purchasing with ease. I can then bring my purchase home and put it on myself.
Quote:
So "can't walk" isn't necessarily a privilege/other thing, but how people react to it, and whether they adjust building designs to accommodate wheelchairs, and so on, could be.
If "can't walk" leads to the reduced ability or inability to move about society unhindered and unremarkably, which it does, it is a privileged/other issue.
Thanks, from:
seebs (12-30-2011)

Page generated in 1.52621 seconds with 11 queries