Thread: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: Return to Gender 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
A lot of the actual communication that happens, though, involves trying to shame them, and at this point we run into a problem: If you bundle all these things together at once, you end up telling people they should be ashamed of things that are completely outside their control.
It's not about shaming though, it's about recognition so as to avoid othering as in "Check your privilege".

For example, I am aware of my privileges. I am middle class, white, average sized, have average features, have above average intelligence, am healthy, employed, housed and fed, have a healthy average kid, etc. etc. etc. I am not ashamed of those things, but I do know that those things afford me...benefits? Perks? not sure the exact word but I enjoy a level of freedom to move about society without raising any eyebrows or suspicions or harsh judgments, and I am given the benefit of the doubt by those in authority (whether law enforcement or Kiddo's school officials), and really most people in general, because they simply expect someone "like" me to conform to societal mores and/or think quite a bit like they themselves do. I am not an other in most everyday situations.

I am an other in some ways, in that I am female, an atheist, infertile. an adoptive parent, and some other minor things, but they don't really come close to the privileged station I enjoy. So, I try to be cognizant of that, and look at it objectively, so as not to assume that I somehow earned that station ( like the lolbertarian kids who seem to think being born white and middle class with health insurance and food security is something they bootstrapped up themselves.)

I don't know of a secular counterpart, but the phrase "There but for the grace of god go I" goes through my mind sometimes.
Have you considered how much more privileged you are in the south?

Privilege is being pulled over in your hobby truck by a cop as you drive home with no tail lights. After a brief conversation wherein the officer notes that you have no hazards either, the officer wishes you a safe trip and admonishes you to be careful on the ride home, also says your truck sounds great. You reply, "thanks, thats a 69 camaro 350 with a fairly aggressive street cam, headers and flowmasters."

And then drive home, with the pot sitting in your truck where it was the whole time. Why weren't you questioned, because you are white and well dressed and well spoken.

Ls,
I also very much try to be aware of how lucky I am. I inherited money to start my small business, and I have a brother who had the vision and the dedication to work at it.

and so on.
BrotherMan (12-30-2011), Clutch Munny (12-30-2011), LadyShea (12-30-2011), Stormlight (01-02-2012), Watser? (12-30-2011)

Page generated in 0.24471 seconds with 11 queries