Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > Cream of The Crap

Rate this Entry

Last Weekend and Next Weekend

Posted 04-02-2008 at 12:40 AM by Crumb

So I suppose I should follow up my last blog with what occurred last Saturday. It was wet and cold most of the time, but the weather was changing every few minutes. There were 20+ members there and my main contact George said there were about 80-100 in the club each year. (There are annual dues.)

All in all we put together about a dozen gliders. Some belong to the club and some were owned by some members. I learned quite a bit about gliders and was satisfied with the quality control involved in their assembly. Mostly I helped with two Schweitzer SGS 2-33 gliders. Putting on the wings and struts and attaching aileron and dive break controls. These are likely to be the gliders I do most of my lessons in.

Here's one:

Next Saturday is an early morning safety session, it is scheduled to last for quite a few hours, but I am not sure what they will spend all that time on. There will be come flying that day, but probably not me. I may be able to schedule something for the next day, though. :hyper: So watch the skies Cascadians! :D

:WWIFA:
Posted in Flying
Views 17378 Comments 2 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I used to do a lot of glider flying. I got my silver C and Gold Height, and I was able to take passengers up for their first ride/lesson, though I never became a full instructor. I'm not current right now, but I might take it up again if I ever get enough free time.

I recommend you read Gliding by Derek Piggott. It might be a bit out of date now, and of course it covers gliding as carried out in Britain, but it is well written and has tons of useful information. I would recommend any of Piggott's books, but Gliding is the classic.
  2. Old Comment
    Thanks, cep! I will be taking my first flight Saturday!